River Rocks/Rock Test

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

logansmomma1228

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I didn't want to jack AQ1's thread so I will start this one- what is the test to do to make sure rocks are safe for the tank?

Is there any rocks that shouldn't go in the tank? I would like to get some for mine, and finding some cool ones in the ditches around here crossed my mind... not sure if this is a great idea or not.

Drop vinegar on the rock, if it bubbles, don't use it. The best rocks to use are granite, shale and slate IMO. Don't use rocks that have limestone in them. :)

NP AQ1, I try not to jack threads but I have so many questions and sometimes they don't get answered.... but it's not nice! Lol.

DK, if the rock bubbles does that mean it has limestone in it? I think I am going to try and google this.

It means it can raise the ph of your water because the acidity in the vinegar reacts with the base in the rock (often calcium)

not sure I would get one out of a ditch... seems like alot of junk from the road (oils, trash, cigarettes, etc) would get in a ditch... avoid limestone if you have a ph below 7.8 as it will raise it (unless you're wanting that)... I'd recommend going in the woods upstream of any traffic, houses, trails, etc. Aquarium1 got all the rocks in my 150g from a creek out behind his house. To see if it'll raise your ph, you can use some sort of acid, vinegar, pH down...

I got my rocks from a creek and a rockslide on a mountain LOL. My husband didn't think it was a very exciting excursion haha! Rock hunting is not high on his list of fun things to do on a weekend. ;)

When I went to Alaska a while ago, I took all of my clothes out of my bag and it was filled with rocks LOL. My husband thinks I'm crazy, but rocks are SO cool! They are so old, and sometimes you can find neat things in/on them! :)

When I went to Alaska a while ago, I took all of my clothes out of my bag and it was filled with rocks LOL. My husband thinks I'm crazy, but rocks are SO cool! They are so old, and sometimes you can find neat things in/on them! :)

Totally agree. Probably would have done the same thing lol. and some of them just look awesome (like, imo, the ones in my 10g lol)

I think it would be something fun for me to take my little man to do ! He just loves being outside, and there is a nature trail by us. We also live by the bay. I am really looking forward to it. Maybe i can get some cool pics for the OT photo contest for next month :p lol

not sure I would get one out of a ditch... seems like alot of junk from the road (oils, trash, cigarettes, etc) would get in a ditch...

Is there a possible QT method to rid the rock of pollutants?

To see if it'll raise your ph, you can use some sort of acid, vinegar, pH down...
So basically rocks can raise the pH and dw can lower it? So I would just use alkaline or acidic depending on the object in question ... ?

Hi LM,
yes, different types of rock/gravel & sand can affect (raise) your water chemistry (pH/GH/KH), particularly those which are of limestone.
Yes again on the driftwood, the tannins in woods are acidic, and can affect (lower) your water chemistry (pH/GH/KH).
Further, they (tannins) can stain your water yellow/brown, some find this desirable for fish which are endemic to black water rivers/streams, some Black Water Extracts are sold to mimic this biotope.

As mentioned below, a questionable rock should be repeatedly, well scrubbed, washed-n-rinsed and then boiled, to remove any undesirables.

Once again I'll just resort to a copy-n-paste from my stash of canned replies.
ChileRelleno said:
What rocks are OK for my Oscar's tank and how do I test and prepare them?
First thing you want to check is if they have the potential to affect your tanks PH/GH/KH.
Try to either get a chip off it and crush it or scrape/scratch the stone making several marks, now add a drop of either vinegar (good) or hydrochloric acid* (best) and watch very carefully for any fizzing.
If a stone appears to composed of different materials then you need to test each section.
Even a little fizz and toss'it unless your using it for Africans or some fish that loves hard water.

If your ultra cautious, then fill a bucket of water and test it's PH/GH/KH, let stand 24hrs test PH/GH/KH again, add rock, test after 24hrs and test again after about a week.

Pass all the tests?

Give it a good scrub/wash and then boil it for 15-30mins, let it cool and pop it in the tank.

*Aquarium Pharmaceuticals "Solution 1" bottle of the nitrate test kit contains hydrochloric acid.

Great post Chile. A lot of people like to use pH down to test rocks, as it is a pretty strong acid, and it reacts more quickly and noticeably than vinegar does.

Careful with the boiling of the rocks though, and DO NOT bake them, they can explode. :( I soaked mine in a bleach solution for about 2 days, then soaked them in decholrinated water (changing that out every day) for another week.

Great post Chile. A lot of people like to use pH down to test rocks, as it is a pretty strong acid, and it reacts more quickly and noticeably than vinegar does.
API products- Nitrate solution bottle #1 = Hydrochloric acid, pH Down = Sulfuric acid.

Both are great test agents for minerals. ;)

Careful with the boiling of the rocks though, and DO NOT bake them, they can explode. :( I soaked mine in a bleach solution for about 2 days, then soaked them in decholrinated water (changing that out every day) for another week.

Wow now I am scared to boil them! lol. I put nail glue in the mocrowave once and it exploded in my hand... (that was a long time ago when i didn't know any better lol)

Wow now I am scared to boil them! lol. I put nail glue in the mocrowave once and it exploded in my hand... (that was a long time ago when i didn't know any better lol)
Don't be scaredy of boiling a rock, I've never heard of a boiled rock exploding.
Now high heat in a fire or oven, I could see it... Have seen it... Seen rocks pop/crack in firepits.

Back
Top Bottom