river tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharkthevandal

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
has any one out there set up a tank with wild caught fish. from cold water streams. i have been thinking about doing something like this for a while. and was wondering if they are any harder to keep than a tank with store bought fish?

I haven't done that, but probably the major thing you will have to worry about is the eventual size your fish will reach. Also, if any fish are threatened or endangered, you must talk to the appropriate authorities first. Research the fish and their temperature ranges, you may need to cool your tank...

Where you gonna get them, Paradise Creek? 8O If so, they're not picky about water quality!

(whispers aside to docrak)....psssst....that's Moscow, Idaho!! :roll:
Besides....I always thought Troy was in Asia Minor! Is Helen still hanging around there??

Where you gonna get them, Paradise Creek? 8O If so, they're not picky about water quality!
Good call!
I'm not a wild fish expert by any means, but my fiance was in charge of some trout in a living stream in the Bio Department at UI. River fish need lots of current and cool water. The project my fiance worked on involved growing up fry and his lab mate had older fish--they needed a lot of room!!

Sorry, I'm a Canadian transpant to the US. I guess I missed the ID part. There are so many states here I'm still trying to learn all the short forms.

But I do agree with the current part.

Funny, I'm a US transplant to Canada! Good luck with all the states--you have more to learn than I do :D

thanks for all the replys. and i'm not really sure what i'm thinking about putting in or where i'm going to get them. i was thinking probably the little spokane river.
dose any one know if there are any fresh water sculpin that are native to the Northwest. i caught something this weekend that looked a lot like a sculpin but most of the one's I have heard about are saltwater fish. any thoughts.

and poikilotherm your probably right about paradise creek, but I think i'll stay away form that one the whole sewage run off thing just dosn't sit to well :?

The freshwater sculpin (or mottled sculpin) could be found in this area...

Check out
http://www.fishbase.org/search.cfm
enter sculpin and you'll get a list of 400 of them. The USA freshwater sculpin, Cottus bairdii seems like a possibility. Clicking on occurences, at leasty two have been recorded in the Little Spokane River, and several others nearby...

(for those of you paying attention, I also suggested this species was being sold as a freshwater lionfish, but I was wrong. :cry: Let's see if I'm right this time, eh? 8) )

The Fisheries folks here at U of I may also be able to help you, if you cultivated some contacts there.

My friend caught a small bass out of a lake down here and just put it in his 55 gallon tank. It grew fast and was easy to keep. But my friend's Midas Chiclid killed it by ramming it into the glass. Lol. And the bass was about twice the size of the chiclid. <--- That fish is mean!

poikilotherm, thanks for the help. i'm thinking it probably is the Cottus bairdii. it look similar to the picture on fishbase just slightly different coloration.

Back
Top Bottom