RO System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jersysman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just purchased an RO system because of my water being described as "liquid rock" and a high ph of 8.4. Is there anyone that has a RO system who would help me in setting it up right for my aquarium. What I mean is how do I add back in the necessary minerals back in the water (use RO Right? How do I buffer the water and have a ph of around 7.2. Is there a particular way to do this? Any help will be appreciated.

RO Right is probably the best way, but I find it easy to just mix part RO and part tap water. I also add plant fertilizer minerals, but I don't if that is what the fish need.

Buffering the water to an exact value might be kind of hard. But you might be able to do this by varying the amount of RO-Right or tap water that you add.

One trick I like about the RO filter is varying the filtration. My particular RO system ($70 ebay) has 6 stages. 3 prefilters, then the RO membrane, then 2 more filters. There are two outputs to the filter. One that goes through all 6 stages and one that only goes through the 1st three. For the "tap water" I add, I send it through only the 1st 3 stages. This filters out chemicals like chlorine but not minerals.

I'll get a little RO Right and see which is easier - either changing the ratio of tap to RO water, or changing how much RO Right to put in. Any other suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom