Roach bomb!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Monkey Magic

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all so once a year we debug our apartment with one of those cans you click on and evacuate the house for 8 hours i cant take the tank out of the house whats the best option.seal the tank and run air to it from outside??

That would probably be your best option and make sure to remove all items that would contact the water, like nets and such. I wide get the widest house possible so that you can maximize the amount of air exposed. Probably multiple hoses would be good too.

Roaches are really that bad? Maybe you should consider getting a house gecko. haha

In speaking with our exterminator....

He said ensure that the filter/tank isn't pulling any air from outside of the tank. then I told him that my tank is open and he said make sure that the tank is covered with a sheet until the fumes/smoke settles.

Fumes will get through the sheet! Might be better to use plastic. Make sure it covers the whole tank and some excess lays on the floor.

Nah its not roaches but but its like an insect killer that does fleas roaches and other bugs i only do it because my girlfriend is absolutely terrified of bugs. I havent seen any in the house she saw a praying mantis on the outside window so i had to agree that i would get some and sort it all out
Thanks for your help

Ok I worked in pest control for 4 years. Take it from me don't waste your money on bug bombs. Spend the extra money and hire a professional. For one it does not soak all your possessions with poison (especially your tanks) and over the counter stuff does not work because the government does not trust the public with poison (for good reason). Its good to kill whatever is there when the bomb goes off but has no residual and will not penetrate eggs.

Also since its a smoke/aerosol bomb you have to make your tank airtight or the poison will get in. this will kill everything in the tank. We accidentally had some overspray hit a koi pond...8 hand raised koi dead in 20 minutes.....

Rhino said:
Ok I worked in pest control for 4 years. Take it from me don't waste your money on bug bombs. Spend the extra money and hire a professional. For one it does not soak all your possessions with poison (especially your tanks) and over the counter stuff does not work because the government does not trust the public with poison (for good reason). Its good to kill whatever is there when the bomb goes off but has no residual and will not penetrate eggs.

What about a thermite treatment?

ejaramillo01 said:
What about a thermite treatment?

Termite should not bother track just because the method of laying chemical is so different. It will last in environment for about six years. Koi cost us about $600 because they were some special Chinese strain or some crap that we had to replace...if its just for piece of mind.....just let her think it was done lol

well thanks for all your posts its given me something to think about. i vaguely remember watching a show about japan and these guys sold koi for well over 100 thousand i couldnt believe it i spose if you enjoy the hobby and have the money its worth it? is it? i just dont know anymore...

Back
Top Bottom