Rock in tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldfish loach boy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello, I want to find a nice, small river rock to hold down my java fern in my 5 gallon tanks, how do I go about preparing it so it doesn't do harm to the tank?
Thank you

Boiling usually works to kill anything unwanted or harmful. Is it a smooth rock or porous? If it's porous like limestone or sand stone it could have nasty stuff in i that could leech out. (Side note, i put limestone straight into my tanks about 6 years ago and had no negative effects, and am still using it today) But boiling it should work imo.

NEVER BOIL A ROCK!!!

There could be a gas pocket that can violently explode and cause major damage to your pot or yourself!!

What! Well, somebody could have told me that, but I already did, and luckily everything went well
I managed to do it, it looks nice
By the way, my betta has a sort of fungus, if anybody can help, please help me on my thread about it, help please!

My lfs always boils her rocks for her freshwater and has never had a problem. I guess they could explode lol. Just do it outside(like on a grill burner) next time and gtfot lol.

My lfs always boils her rocks for her freshwater and has never had a problem. I guess they could explode lol. Just do it outside(like on a grill burner) next time and gtfot lol.

Did she say what sort out of interest? I've had basalt (layered, egg-like) explode in camp fires. I can only think of something quite hard like granite that should do ok.

Did she say what sort out of interest? I've had basalt (layered, egg-like) explode in camp fires. I can only think of something quite hard like granite that should do ok.

Ya, granite and slate. We have a lot of it where i live.

I takes rocks from a creek behind my house all the time. Just give them a good rinse and scrub in the sink. Then drop it in.

I added them, didn't release any stuff, look pretty nice, might add more
img_2770882_0_1bdd4af0031b34b57a218e0317bde82d.jpg

Back
Top Bottom