Rock to raise ph?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pls1210

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am in the process of adding decor to my 50 gallon cichlid tank and I was wondering whether rock will raise or lower my ph? The ph in my water is low around 6.8 possibly lower. I know that mbuna need a higher ph and they like rocks and caves to hide in so I was curious as to what rocks may raise the ph? I have also previously used oyster shells to raise the ph in my tanks because it's so low. I have been looking at the reddish colored lava rock, does anyone have any experience with it?

Texas holey rock and limestone will help, not sure how much. That's a great ph for some dwarf cichlids! There are various buffers out there to get th water where you want it but I'm not well versed in those methods. I'd suggest picking stock to match your parameters rather than the opposite.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I like the look of the Texas holey rock too so I may look into that. I put oyster shells in my 30 and it was at 6.8 several months ago and has slowly raised to around 7.5 so if all else fails I may just use some oyster shells in the 50. Would dwarf cichlids be apistogramma? I have done a little research on apistogramma but not much. I guess I kinda have my heart set on mbuna. :-(

I like the look of the Texas holey rock too so I may look into that. I put oyster shells in my 30 and it was at 6.8 several months ago and has slowly raised to around 7.5 so if all else fails I may just use some oyster shells in the 50. Would dwarf cichlids be apistogramma? I have done a little research on apistogramma but not much. I guess I kinda have my heart set on mbuna. :-(

I like the look too, very cool! problem with adjusting ph is possible swings.. if you set yourself up a 32 gal. water barrel and kept that water buffered for changes with the crushed coral you'd be looking good long term, if something changes drastically in a system like the one you're after it could spell disaster for the fish. Apistos would be a dwarf, if it's mbuna you're liking than the dwarfs might not do it for you. I've said all I really can on this topic, maybe too.much;) someone more capable will be along shortly! Another thing to keep in mind is a 4' tank is minimum for most cichlids that size, you've got a 50 or 36x18x18" ??

So a 55! You're good!

Is it? Dumb me!!!! I googled it when I got it and it said 50.

It may only hold 50 us gallons but it's technically a 55. The 50 is a tighter footprint. It may not sound like a big deal but in the cichlid world it makes all the difference!

I've been lurking around this site for a while your the one with the satellite led plus lights right? Do they grow low-medium light plants well? I ordered one about a week ago so I am waiting on it to arrive.

Yep, had anyways.. I've just upgraded.. yah they grow med. Light plants.. i had 2 on a 16" tall tank. You're using it for the cichlid tank?

No, it will be great on a cichlid tank.. you won't be doing plants so nothing to worry about there..

I know cichlids tear up plants bad but I do want to add anacharis and possibly hornwort. Never dealt with hornwort so I am not sure about that but I definitely will be adding anacharis.

Those would be my last choice haha. Floating salad bar.. it's make a mess.. I'd reccomend java fern and anubias zip tied to decorations.. they're tough plants and said to taste bad to fish.

I like both of those also. Maybe some anubias tied to a rock, that would look pretty good. Thanks for all your help.

Yah, I'd personally zip tie (available in all colors including green, easy to snip when the time comes) it to a smaller movable rock or piece of dw, that way if they want to toss it? they can without shredding it..

Zip tie, I never thought of that. I tried fishing line one time and it did not work out well. Thanks for the idea.

Zip tie, I never thought of that. I tried fishing line one time and it did not work out well. Thanks for the idea.

Fishing line would seem the logical idea?? If it's tied to tight it will actually severe the plant as it grows.. ouch..

I didn't tie it tight enough I guess and it came off in my tank and one of my fish got caught in it.

I didn't tie it tight enough I guess and it came off in my tank and one of my fish got caught in it.

Ohh noo.. well it is used to catch fish afterall :D

Back
Top Bottom