Rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bluegillfreak

Aquarium Advice Regular
At risk for sounding like an idiot I'm going to ask is there anyreason I SHOULDNT or can't use normal rocks from on the ground instead of buying rocks? I have access to tons of rocks of different sizes that would just need rinsed off to be clean.

You can use normal Rocks, not sure where u live but we have tons of shale in NJ so as long as you file the sharp edges and clean them well. You can soak them in a 10% Bleach solution and then rise them thoroughly with Tap, then a final soak them in Tank water. Creek beds and rivers have good worn stone as well if you are lucky to find them. I would try to identify what you have then search on the site for issues.

Using outside rocks is fine, just don't lean them on the sides of the tank, or place them in a barebottom tank. You can either use bleach, or boil them if they are small enough. Boiling is my preferred method as it uses no chemicals. Also, not the best of advice but most of the time you can get away without either and just scrubbing the dirt off of the rock.

These are the rocks I found gonna soak em and then figure out how I want to arrange them.
img_1796352_0_12438bf95d797ad2a21a4b0d4e6ccfe9.jpg

img_1796352_1_831bf5367981bde5b26d325b7dc58d20.jpg

Bluegillfreak said:
These are the rocks I found gonna soak em and then figure out how I want to arrange them.

Soak them in what? Id boil them just to make sure nothing nasty is hiding in the pores.

As well, you can stick them in your dishwasher instead of boiling do long as you don't use soap!

I dont think mom would like me boiling rocks in her cooking pots lol i'm just going to soak them in a 10-15 percent bleach/water solution for a bit then let them set in a bucket of tank water I have taken out for a bit before I put them in my tank.

Gawang said:
As well, you can stick them in your dishwasher instead of boiling do long as you don't use soap!

Idk if the dishwater gets hot enough to kill like boiling does.

boadams87 said:
Idk if the dishwater gets hot enough to kill like boiling does.

It gets to about 180-200 degrees and 99% of the time that's going to kill the bacteria I there are any. It's an option for rocks too large to be easily boiled.

Gawang said:
It gets to about 180-200 degrees and 99% of the time that's going to kill the bacteria I there are any. It's an option for rocks too large to be easily boiled.

Ok cool. I don't have one so I didn't know

What about smooth rocks? Any idea if they need to be boiled?

I don't think they do, but before I just drop them in, I figured I'd check.

James_in_MN said:
What about smooth rocks? Any idea if they need to be boiled?

I don't think they do, but before I just drop them in, I figured I'd check.

Generally, I'd give it a decent rinse to get any dirt off then scrub it a little with a clean sponge. Doing that, you'd probably be totally fine.

Just a warning but boiling rocks can be dangerous. I'd do some research on how to go about it before hand.

Found out my mom always baked hers so thats what I did. Boiling them is fine as long as you bring the temp up and back down slowly a sudden temperature change can shatter the rock.

Back
Top Bottom