rocks and pebbles from a river y/n?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iains

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i live really close to a pretty decently sized river, and i was wondering if i could find pebbles and stuff to use instead of gravel and make a little cave for my fish or lobster which ever likes it. would it be okay?

Boil them for a few minutes and scrub them clean (plain hot water only and a new brush. lots of elbow grease) and then do the fizz test.

thanks! i'm gonna go looking at 2 different parts of the river today, wish me luck! :)

Well everyone thanks for your help! the rocks i picked up were FILTHY! but i boiled them 3 times then did the fizz test, nothing fizzed as of now the fish are happy and enjoying their new hideouts and caves i made.

i found a bunch on a rock beech by my cottage. i rinsed them off but they were already really clen from being on the shore and the water and other rocks aggitated off all the dirt. the great thing about these rocks is that they are sooo smooth from being rubbed by all the other rocks so they pose no danger to the fish. :) i would be paying lik 1.50 per pound at my fish store for rocks i can go outside and pick up for free lol.

Sounds good, iains. :D You know, if you want to you can use aquarium silicone to glue your caves together if you think your fish will topple the rocks.

you can also sterilize them by soaking in like a 10% bleach solution and then rinsing in dechlorinator before putting in your aquarium. That and boiling combined is what i do with anything i find outside.

Back
Top Bottom