Rocks and pH Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leader-Of-The-Fish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, so I am setting up an african cichlid tank. As many know, they prefer harder water in the 8.0ish range. Unfortunately for me, my tap is 7.4. Just recently after setting up the aquascape, the rocks I added raised the pH to 8.2. The perfect condition! Not knowing the rocks were going to raise the pH I now have a few questions as I have no experience with this part of the hobby!

1. Will the rocks always keep the pH at a consistent number or will it lower over a long period? Basically, do the rocks lose their buffering abilities after being in an aquarium for a long time?

2. When I do water changes, is it a big deal that the tap water that I am adding to the tank is about 7.4? Do I need to do anything to it beforehand?

3. The rocks have been in the tank for a few days. Is the pH going to stay the same or is it going to keep going up?

Thanks for feedback! :)

To raise PH, you can raise carbonated hardness (KH) by adding baking soda. Just add a little bit, like half tea spoon, ph will raise slowly. Do this at each water change before you put water in the tank.

Some rock increase hardness overtime, but it will lower at every water change you make. Most cichlids are adapted to most tap water hardness.

Thanks. I do not think that its necessary to raise the pH anymore than it already is though. I just wanted to know if the pH is still going to climb up after a few days and if it is harmful to my fish if when I do a weekly 25% water change I use my tap (7.2 pH) and my tank is 8.2pH.

Ok so would there be a harmful effect to the fish if I use my tap water for a water change. The tap is 7.2 and the tank is at 8.2 with the rocks. It would a weekly 25% water change.

Yes, PH change is cruel for fishs... Just add a bit baking soda to new water before you drop it in the tank... Water KH/PH can't go too much high because of the rocks...

Little baking soda will prevent fluctuations of the PH. Just half of a teaspoon can't hurt ! Especially if you have cichlids...

Ok thanks! That's a good idea. So add half a teaspoon to the 9 gallons of water I add to the tank after the water change?

Yeah, you put it in the new water buck with the dechlorinator before you throw it in the tank.

Half teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate should raise enough the water KH so fish won't see difference between new and old tank water :)

Stir it a bit, so it will help PH ajust fast.

Ok thanks! That's a good idea. So add half a teaspoon to the 9 gallons of water I add to the tank after the water change?

If you're a bit scientist, mesure initial tank KH, and then add baking soda to the buck of new water until you reach something near initial tank KH, so you'll know the exact baking soda dose you need.

I will say if your tap KH is 2, and tank water is 10, then just raise it near 7-8 dKH°...

Ok that makes sense. So grab the tap water and see how much baking soda it takes to raise the KH to the tank KH?

Ok that makes sense. So grab the tap water and see how much baking soda it takes to raise the KH to the tank KH?

Yeah, that's it. You raise it near the tank KH, but a bit lower, anyway it will raise with the rock. When it rains in nature, the rain is near 0dKH°... Nobody to add baking soda to the rain, so that's why I tell you "near" the tank KH.

Back
Top Bottom