Rocks and PH....should I remove the rocks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jill

Aquarium Advice Freak
Let's see....where to start. I have a 30 gallon cube that has been running for 5-6 months. It had a piece of what I know is limestone in it that I removed from the tank 10-14 days ago. There is another rock that I *thought* wasn't limestone still in there (a smooth, round, white, grey and black swirly patterned rock). Today I finally got around to picking up a ph test kit. The water in that tank is off the charts (7.6 or above). My tap water is 6.4-6.6. The limestone that I removed from the 30 gallon is now in a new 10 gallon tank, and that water is testing off the charts too. All fish are doing great....the 30 is a community tank, and the 10 is a quarantine for now with a couple of ghost shrimp and guppies. I'm hoping to convert it to a RCS tank.

Am I worrying for no reason? Should I remove the rocks?

This fish business is tough!!! :fish1:

:thanks:

If all fish are doing fine, dont mess with the ph. Fish can adapt to ph's out of their range. A constant high ph is better than a fluctuating one. Do you have a high range ph test so you know exactly what it is?

I don't, but the kits are cheap enough....do you think I should pick one up? (Thanks!)

You could if you really want to know the exact ph. But you don't have to if knowing that the ph is above 7.5 is enough for you. :)

I worry more about the 10 gallon than the 30....I know everyone is fine in there, and I'm almost done stocking it. :) The 10 is a fairly new tank though. I'm tempted just to get the limestone out of there. Do you think the ph would shift too quickly for the guppies if I do that? Maybe I should just wait and remove it after the guppies are out of quarantine....now there's a solution I hadn't thought of....:rolleyes:.....lol.

Jill said:
I worry more about the 10 gallon than the 30....I know everyone is fine in there, and I'm almost done stocking it. :) The 10 is a fairly new tank though. I'm tempted just to get the limestone out of there. Do you think the ph would shift too quickly for the guppies if I do that? Maybe I should just wait and remove it after the guppies are out of quarantine....now there's a solution I hadn't thought of....:rolleyes:.....lol.

Yeah, I'd wait until the guppies are out of qt. Lol

Who knew one little rock would shift the ph that much?! lol I can only imagine what it must have been in the 30 before I removed the other piece of limestone.
:facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom