Rocks and water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Buckfins

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys and gals....What effect do rocks have on water? I live in Texas and we have those huge pieces of what they call Texas holy rock all over the property. We sell it for a lot per pound. I have seen it in aquarium shops everywhere. I havent used it years. Does it leach calcium into the water and make it harder? I would love to set up a huge cichlid tank with some beautiful pieces, but not sure what it will do to the water. Any experts with some input?:thanks:

Not too sure about that particular rock, but you can look up tests for the rock that involves acids. Some say vinegar would suit the test, some say it won't due to strength of the acid, or lack-there-of.

I haven't tried a test before, but just by searching online, this article might help. There should be other resources online or others who might chime in.

http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/rocks-carbonate-testing

Im no expert, but know something of Rocks and Water quality as i live in Nebraska and we got horribly hard/alkaline water because of the Ogalla aquifer in the midwest, its pure limestone.
Im sure a google search on what kind of rock you have could tell you something about it...
All i know is that rocks make water more stable and harder, so its a good thing. If you have some vinager on hand, pour it on the rock. If it sizzles, its limestone and will make it harder.
It really depends on how hard and alkaline your water already is, and what your fish like. I know nothing about cichlids however. I know they dig around alot, and they do fine in the water up here and its very hard, so im gonna guess and say the rocks would be fine, especially since cichlids like to mess around in the substrate and bury stuff under rocks all the time. They'd probably love it.

Texas holey rock will raise the ph, lots of cichlid tankers prefer it for that reason. Along with looking awesome!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes, THR will make the water harder and raise the PH. I love the look, but I cant use it since my PH is already over 8. Cichlids love the high PH so you may be okay to go, but it depends on how hard your water is right now.

Back
Top Bottom