Rocks/driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yaggey

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is it safe to use rock/driftwood from your garden/outside for your tank?

If it's your typical rock then yes. Granite or quartz will be fine. You may wish to boil it though in water or wash it in bleach and rinse very well. Now some folks will tell you never to do that and go to a pet store, but you can put garden rocks in your aquarium.

Driftwood is trickier. I would say yes, but closely watch your water chemistry. Make sure the wood has been dried and you can put it boiling water for a few minutes and then put it in your tank. Now some will say never and only get stuff from a pet store.

My hunch is that those who tell you only pet stores own or work at pet stores.

It can be as long as you select and prep them correctly. If there have ever been pesticides or fertilizers used on the yard it may be best to avoid though.

If it's your typical rock then yes. Granite or quartz will be fine. You may wish to boil it though in water or wash it in bleach and rinse very well. Now some folks will tell you never to do that and go to a pet store, but you can put garden rocks in your aquarium.

Driftwood is trickier. I would say yes, but closely watch your water chemistry. Make sure the wood has been dried and you can put it boiling water for a few minutes and then put it in your tank. Now some will say never and only get stuff from a pet store.

My hunch is that those who tell you only pet stores own or work at pet stores.

The reason people advocate for getting them from pet stores is because they are known safe for the intended purpose. You can also pick up rock cheaply from garden shops, rock yard, etc. Driftwood is safest if purchased or collected in the wild (not the yard). Either way, preps and caution are required.

I actually found my driftwood @ the reservoir. Great piece of driftwood. It's basically a hollow log, I'll have to take a photo sometime.

I boiled mine for a little while, then let it soak in the sun. Boiled it again, let it soak in the sun. Then did a water change, and let the driftwood soak in that water, then put it in the tank.

Didn't have anything dramatic to the chem levels, worked out great.

I did the same thing with rocks that I put in my tank.

Penncentralfan said:
You may wish to boil it though in water or wash it in bleach and rinse very well. Now some folks will tell you never to do that and go to a pet store, but you can put garden rocks in your aquarium.

No don't boil rocks! They can have air pockets in them and when super heated, the rocks can explode! When I gathered my rocks I pressure washed them, soaked them in HOT saltwater, then scrubbed them with an old brush, then soaked them in fresh water. Most things that could be harmful to your freshwater tank cannot live in saltwater.

Reactions: HN1
Back
Top Bottom