Rocks Okay???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dalero

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have unlimited access to Atlantic Ocean rolled smooth rocks in every shape size and color you can imagine from our beaches here in Rhode Island. The possibilities seem endless for using them as decor. If I soak and boil them would they be safe to put in my fw tank?

Probably. Leave them in a bucket for a while and see if they effect the KH and PH of the wtaer in the bucket. Be sure it is legal to collect them.

I don't know, I have had nothing but problems with rocks not purchased from a reputable pet store. With some rocks my water was always cloudy and the rocks seemed to be shedding small pieces. Even some of the rocks I purchased at a lfs had a tendency to mess around with my PH. I like what rich311k suggested. First boil the heck out of them (about an hour or more) to kill anything living on the rocks which can pose a problem to the tank. Do not clean them with any kind of soap or detergents - just boil the heck out of them. You might want to scrub the rocks with a medium grade brush under running water before boiling to aid the process. Then after the boiling place them in a large bucket or tank filled with dechlorinated water and monitor the water chemistry - Good luck and let me know how it worked out - Right now I boiling driftwood fro my tank. :cool:

I'm sure if you look around, there is a list of the types of rock that are considered "safe" for aquariums. I think slate is one that doesn't affect the PH... I wish I could remember where I saw the list but it was a while ago.

Anyhoo, if you can find that list, and then identify the rocks near you as one of them, you have your answer.

Still boil them as per Warped1s suggestion.... You definitely need to spend some time making sure any nasties are gone.

Back
Top Bottom