Rocks versus driftwood, questions within

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Electrobes

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay, so I have been nuts about my 10 gallon, and staring at it waiting to make sure all is going well in there just makes me start thinking about what will be the official look of it, plus what I will do with my 29 gallon once it gets here. Lets start of:
What rocks are good to put in freshwater? I would put in live rock but am not sure if that is only for marine tanks or what not, and I hear some rocks affect pH so I don't want to make a mistake and pH my plants or fish to death. :p
What is the common choice when deciding a medium for a tank? Do most people choose one way with smaller tanks (10G-29G)and the other for bigger tanks (29G - higher) ? Do people usually combo rocks and drift wood, or usually follow one medium for the design? :?
Thanks everyone!

Well...whether you use rocks, driftwood, or both is entirely up to you and what you think looks good. Some rocks will cause the pH and hardness to rise. The best thing to do is buy the rock at the LFS and make sure it's aquarium safe. Some rocks can leach toxic compounds into the water. When you get the rock home, put some vinegar on it with an eyedropper. If the vinegar fizzes, it's almost certain that the rocks will affect your pH. No fizz, probably OK. Driftwood will leach tannic acid into the water which will cause a drop in pH and hardness...probably not enough that regular water changes won't keep the pH stable though. Stay away from aragonite or any kind of coral rocks unless you plan on keeping african cichlids.

Back
Top Bottom