RODI in Freshwater Aquarium??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Digital Man

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey folks,

I have both a freshwater and saltwater tank and recently picked up an RODI unit for the saltwater tank. I know that by using the salt mix I am adding back the appropriate amount of trace elements, etc. My question is can I (or do I even want to) use RODI water in a freshwater tank? If so, does it require any additives? Any benefits to RODI in a freshwater tank?

Thanks!!

RODI in freshwater is used by folks who have poor quality tap water for fish, such as really high nitrates or hard water. If your tap tests decent, then it is really not needed for fresh. There is an exception in that a lot of people who keep Discus use RODI water. With fresh water RODI you add a product like Replentish to add minerals back into the water or mix 50:50 with their tap. OS.

Some use RODI for lowering PH/KH/GH, and then they remineralize until they like it in a bucket before they throw in the aquarium.

I use is in one of my freshy planted because my water quality is so crappy and unstable. I have varying levels. My tap nitrate is never under 10 and I have seen it go as high as 40ppm. My platys in the regular tap tank can take it (but I still test my tap weekly before water changes to make sure it's safe for them) But my GBR I am not willing to risk. So that tank is 100% RO water. That I remineralize with equilibrium. That one is designed for planted tanks using RO water. Once I can get an RO unit for my home I will be switching both tanks to RO.

Yeah, you can mix equilibrum with RODI in a bucket until you have hardness you want. Don't add RODI directly to the tank.

Back
Top Bottom