Rope fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newhobbist

Aquarium Advice Activist
I really like rope fish and am considering buying one (LFS has several that are about 8" each). But, I get confusing information about it. Some sources state that it gets 12" long, others state that it will grow to 36". I can keep a foot-long rope fish in my tank, but three feet is really to much. I also have some other questions about it:
-How fast does it grow?
-What is its everage lifespan?
-Does it bury in substrate and will it uproote plants?
-How small should other fish be to become its prey?
-Is it nocturnal fish, or will I see it during the day?
-Is there anything else I should know about it?

Let me see what I can do about answering your questions:

Firstly....the largest Erpetoichthys calabaricus that I've ever personally seen is the one referenced in my answer to question 2. It was about 24 inches long and approximately the diameter of a U.S. quarter.

1) Rope Fish are relatively slow growers.
2) Life span may be as long as 20 years. I've personally had one that was 15 years old when I gave it away.
3) I've never had a Rope Fish that buried itself. Plants may be uprooted as it swims around the tank.
4) Rope fish have relatively small mouths but an adult can easily take a guppy-sized fish and will sometimes attack and kill or injure fish too large for it to swallow by mistake. They are NOT, however, aggressive fish.
5) Like most Polypterids, Rope Fish are not fond of bright light. I see mine fairly frequently but the surface of the aquarium they're in is practically covered with floating plants (Water Sprite) which keeps the light level fairly low. They definitely come out whenever they smell food in the water.
6) They are consummate escape artists and every opening in your aquarium lid that they could POSSIBLY get out of should be covered. Bloodworms (I use frozen) are one of their favorite foods.

Hope this helps,

-Joe

I had Trouble keeping Ropefish at first.. Fruitbat helped me alot.
I know they do NOT tollerate salte at all.
They LOVE blood worms either frozen or live. If you get them from your LFS ask them what they feed them. if they get fed live blood worms. Buy 1 to 2 ounces of live and feed them that and after the first ounce is gone then feed them frozen worms one day then live the next to switch them to frozen blood worms (thats what i did because frozen is cheaper than live) When i bout my rope fish about 3 months ago he was 8 inches and still hasnt grown much. When i turn the light on in my tank in the morning He swims around then goes under his favorite rock. They are really shy fish..... You should get one. They're a really great addition to any appropriate tank that can house them....

Thank you for the help. Unfortunately, I think that this fish is not for my tank. I have just read that it will use the smallest opening in the tank canopy to excape, and since I use a power filter, there is no way to cover the opening.
BTW, My gilfriend gets up before me. I've just imagined her walking into our living room and seeing a small brownish "snake" crawling across the room :D

Back
Top Bottom