rope fish and pacus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sultana

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
what problems would there be keeping 2 medium pacus in a 3 foot tank with a rope fish? :wink:

I think the biggest major proplem would be that the pacu's grow to 2ft plus, depending what type you have.
The black pacu can reach 5ft plus in the wild.

Hi sultana and welcome to Aquariumadvice.

Are you asking seriously? I'm not sure; the winking face kinda confused me. Assuming you are, Terry's info is the same as mine; a 3 foot tank is WAY too small for a pacu, much less 2. And even if they aren't too big now they will be soon; keeping them in a too small tank will stunt their growth a only little and will definitely shorten their lifespan.

This is my nephew in front of a pacu tank ay Birdworld in the UK; keep in mind the pacu behind him is at least a foot back (which means the pacu is even bigger then it looks): http://www.myaquaria.com/gallery/XmasinEngland/taylor_n_pacu

wow nice! can u turn a room into a tank? is it be affordable to run...? very expensive to build i guess.
oh, their red pacu and i wasnt planning to keep them in there long. their about 3"long i'm gonnu make some plans on where to put them next.

Good luck finding/getting them a proper sized place!

The ones I saw at Birdworld were all from people's homes; people who could no longer house such big fish. That tank is around 1000 UK gallons (maybe more). Birdworld can't take anymore as they have no more room, even tho theres only 5 pacus, one redtail cat and an unidentified cichlid in that tank. Most places won't take them anyway as there seems to be way too many oversized fish to begin with, and very few people have enough room to house such monsters.

I think that you should think of something else, the pacu's are not a good choice.

Great photo Alli, I am really sorry i missed you on your visit to the UK.

ok about rope fish

anyone got any info to share about them?

When I have a house, I'm gonna build a tank that is like, 1 foot off the ground, goes up 4-5 feet, is at least 3 feet out from the wall, and runs the length of the wall :p Its gonna be awesome! :p

My wife will kill me if she ever reads this or see the tank. I'll hide it behind a false wall, so she doesn't know. Then it'll just be my little tank. The nice, hidden-in-the-fake-wall-2000-gallon-tank. RAWR.

It's gonna have pacu's and stuff. Big stuff. Yeah.

we should married each other :D

i'm thinking of a room tank like the ones in public aquariums- brick walls painted with sealent and with windows, hey you could mayby swim with your fish! imagine sterlets! eels! or oscars! :eek:

not together of course! have you built a glass tank bfore?

The Rope Fish or Reed Fish, Erpetoichthys calabaricus is a member of a group of very primitive fish called the Polypterids. They are all from rivers, lakes and swamps of the African continent. They can reach lengths of up to 36 inches (3 feet) and, when fully grown, require a pretty good-sized aquarium. They are generally peaceful fish, though they are not to be trusted around fish that they can swallow and they will sometimes get into combats with each other that can result in substantial injury.

They'll eat pretty much any 'meaty' foods and do well on frozen beef heart and bloodworms as well as sinking pellets (not the algae type). Smaller fish may disappear from your tank, especially overnight, when the Rope Fish is in there. Any openings in your tank should be carefully blocked because E. calamoichthys is a great escape artist and seems to be able to find its way through relatively small holes. They are not terribly sensitive as to pH but prefer conditions between 7.0 to 7.5. They like to have places to hide and a nice piece of driftwood and lots of plants will be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom