Ropefish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kukerdan

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just got a small ropefish for my 90..........
I know they are polyepturids, i know they would eat small fish ( i dont have any, this guy s actually one of the smaller in my tank)

I know they will jump out of tank.........

any interesting facts, or experiances with these fish that i should know about?

kukerdan....

Good purchase!

The Rope (or Reed) Fish, Erpetoichthys calabaricus, is definitely one of the Polypterids and shares all of their unique characteristics. These primitive fish have ganoid scales (covered with a hard material called ganoine) that are diamond-shaped and that do not overlap....unlike the scales of more 'modern' fish. They have fair eyesight but apparently an excellent sense of smell, probably enhanced by their tubular nostrils.

They have paired 'lungs' which were originally thought to be a modified swim bladder. Some recent thought, however, proposes that many 'early' fish had 'lungs' and that the swim bladder developed from those rather than the other way around. All Polypterids are capable of breathing atmospheric air....and they don't only do it under conditions of low dissolved oxygen in the water. They are also capable of living for quite some time out of the water as long as they manage to keep moist.

The Rope Fish is separated from the genus Polypterus (the only other living genus) by their much-elongated body and by the absence of ventral fins (which all members of Polypterus have). In my experience, E. calabaricus is one of the more 'social' of the Polypterids and they seem to enjoy each other's company.

The only Rope Fish that I personally have right now is in a grow-out tank with small Polypterus senegalus, Polypterus delhezi and Polypterus retropinnis. There have not been any incidents of aggression. About 6 weeks ago I made the mistake of putting some medium-sized Yellow-Tailed Congo Tetras into the tank with the bichirs (there are already some good-sized Congo Tetras in the tank) and it was the Rope Fish that made the first strike. Even though the tetra was far too big for the Rope Fish to swallow, it did its level best to kill the tetra and managed to do enough damage that one of the Polypterus delhezi youngsters was easily able to finish the kill (and swallow the tetra).

Be aware that Rope Fish are not so much jumpers as they are slitherers and will manage to snake their way out of even the smallest of openings. If you have a HOB filter system...make sure that the opening of the intake tube has one of those mesh covers on it or the Rope Fish might just squirm up the tube and end up in your filter.

Oh....by the way....my Rope Fish enjoys eating bloodworms from my fingertips and will come right to the surface when it is feeding time.

-Joe

Fruitbat is the one to handle this one, if he does not see this thread, PM him. Congrats on your fish :D

I was able to aquire this fish for 8.99$ !

I always thought them more than that, i found a small fish specialty store in a town near me today. and they had about 10 of these..........

some were quite large, a foot or more easy, this guy is 4 or 5 inches.

i have a canister system... and the back of my tank has a lip that sticks out about a half inch from the tank, so he would have to slither over that too in order to get out, he just cant go straight up, theres a ledge...

There was another fish there, that i almost bought instead but i went with this one because it was smaller, and didnt have the mouth of a goby!

they had a tank full of 'dragon fish' the Owner said they were less agressive than the ropefish, if they were both of equal length, and put in a tank with small fish, he said the rope would strike first.......

but this fish was also very awsome looking, except for its sinister head and beady little eyes.

But i decided that the ropefish was a safer bet, especily because i could get a smaller ropefish................. how would these fish get along?

The 'Dragon Fish' is almost guaranteed to be the Violet Goby (Gobioides broussonetti), a brackish water fish that can reach up to 24 inches in length. Interestingly, in spite of their ferocious appearance, the Violet Goby only feeds on very small food items....indeed it is often primarily a filter feeder, taking mouths full of sand/gravel and spitting it out after removing any tiny tidbit it can find. They do have very sharp teeth, however, and will use them on other bottom-dwelling species if the need to defend themselves or their property arises.

Gobioides broussonetti can apparently be acclimated to straight fresh water but I've heard horror stories about them becoming particularly susceptible to fungus infections in fresh water and suffering long, lingering deaths.

Thank you for the correct information... i knew it looked like a goby attached to that giant body!

All these fish, he had quite a few of them, were swimming at the durface of the water, along the side of the tank, just swimming as to keep their heads at the surface...
he said he just got them in today and they werent used to the tank yet...

do you think this is right, i can get one any size for $7!

1 more question,,, how long untill the ropefish comes out of his shell.... i kno its his first day, but from what i heard they arent shy fish, i havent seen him since i dropped him in the tank

Give him a few days....he will be more quick to do so if your tank is well-planted.....my ropefish tank (8 ropefish) is quite heavily planted with grass-like plants.

kukerdan....

Toirtis is right on the mark (as usual). I've had exactly the same experience with Rope Fish.....it takes them a couple of days to get comfortable with their surroundings and they definitely seem to prefer a heavily-planted tank. I use Water Sprite in their tanks because it grows like a weed whether planted in the substrate or floating on the surface. Many of my small bichirs and my Rope Fish like to rest in the floating mat of this Asian fern.

-Joe

When you guys where talking about the Violet Goby. It is true about them being in straight freshwater. I owned one for about a week. He got fungus all over him and then passed away. I could not figure out what the heck happoned. But since you said, now I know why it happoned. I know they look scary, but they are like a big teddy bear. The one that I did have just minded its own business, and left all of my fish alone. But that is too bad, he didn't make it. But now I know what type of water they like.

:D

well, my tank is at 76 that he is in, i really cant turn it any lower, because of the assortment of fish in there, the tank is not brightly lit, so i think hell be fine.

He is swimming laps around the tank (the violet) and occasionally stopping and resting... he seems to have a suction organ, tho it doesnt seem to power full, because he hasnt been able to latch on the glass (or maybe he just didnt want to)

the fish is rather active now, swimming around, right at the surface,.. is this normal/?

kukerdan said:
the fish is rather active now, swimming around, right at the surface,.. is this normal/?

Not terribly, and probably has to do with the warm temps (all these gobies are wild-caught, so the jump to tropical temps is rather harsh on them), and possibly also due to a fair change in specific gravity (imagine that they are taken from cool, heavily brackish water, dumped into warm, freshwater shop tanks, and then into whatever parameters your water is).

well i cannot find the goby , i mean, i really havent looked, because in order to look, i would have to tear up alot of plants / decorations.. there are a million hiding spots, im assuming he found a cave or somting, because he isnt swimming around anymore

Toirtis said:
Give him a few days....he will be more quick to do so if your tank is well-planted.....my ropefish tank (8 ropefish) is quite heavily planted with grass-like plants.

Wow. 8 ropefish. How big is your tank? I'm panning on getting another tank in awhile and I was thinking about getting a ropefish because I seems that my lfs always has them in stock and they have lots of eels too.

Lance M. said:
Toirtis said:

Wow. 8 ropefish. How big is your tank? I'm panning on getting another tank in awhile and I was thinking about getting a ropefish because I seems that my lfs always has them in stock and they have lots of eels too.

It is a 70 gallon wide.

Do any of you have any suggestions as to what to feed the ropefish, because I have had a ropefish for sometime now and I have tried bloodworms, feeder guppies, squid, and beefheart and he doesn't eat them. He might nibble on bloodworms that may have fallen to the gravel. However, it takes like at lease 10 minutes to realize that the food is there. Any other suggestions?

Thank you!

Bloodworms, feeder guppies, earthworms....but feed after you turn out the lights, as Polypterids are nocturnal, and he will be more likely to eat in the dark.

Back
Top Bottom