Ropefish not eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrogFrenzy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had a ropefish for about 4 days and he hasn't eaten anything. I've tried frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, and shrimp pellets and he hasn't eaten any of them. I even put the food right in front of him. I tried this with the lights on and off. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ropefish are wild caught, so transition is difficult for them. For the first part of their transition you have to truly think about their natural environment.

In the wild the didn't have shrimp pellets or frozen food. I buy red wiggler worms and small crickets from the reptile section for mine as treats but especially when they are transitioning into the tank. If they still don't eat, then I buy a couple ghost shrimp. They have a hard time finding the food sometimes (and are often outcompeted by tank makes), so make sure you put the worm/cricket/shrimp directly in front of it.

After they've acclimated, mine also like dried cube tubifex worms.

Ropefish are social and enjoy/need the company of other ropefish. Also make sure there are hiding places like caves. (Mine love a wide mouth vase, laid on its side, and covered with built up substrate/gravel. Also I have a couple old filter tubes pressed up against the glass covered on substrate that the enjoy swimming in and out of.)

Keep us posted.

Ropefish are wild caught, so transition is difficult for them. For the first part of their transition you have to truly think about their natural environment.

In the wild the didn't have shrimp pellets or frozen food. I buy red wiggler worms and small crickets from the reptile section for mine as treats but especially when they are transitioning into the tank. If they still don't eat, then I buy a couple ghost shrimp. They have a hard time finding the food sometimes (and are often outcompeted by tank makes), so make sure you put the worm/cricket/shrimp directly in front of it.

After they've acclimated, mine also like dried cube tubifex worms.

Ropefish are social and enjoy/need the company of other ropefish. Also make sure there are hiding places like caves. (Mine love a wide mouth vase, laid on its side, and covered with built up substrate/gravel. Also I have a couple old filter tubes pressed up against the glass covered on substrate that the enjoy swimming in and out of.)

Keep us posted.

Ok thanks for the help! I think I'll try some live food. Will live food like crickets or worms float?

The live crickets will float, live worms will sink.

Ok thanks. My ropefish has been more active lately. Is this a sign that he's getting less stressed or more comfortable in my tank? I have tried feeding him yet, gonna wait till tonight.

More active is generally a good thing. If you don't see it eat, leave the food in there. Personally I would rather over feed and do more water changes during the transition period of a new rope.

Do you have other ropefish?
If not, you will need to see about getting at least one more, if not two more. They are much less stressed when they're with other ropes, and it's great entertainment to watch them play and swim together.

Ok thanks. About to feed him, I'll leave the food if he doesn't eat. And I don't have any other ropefish but I'll look into getting some. I'm just scared I'll spend lots of money on more ropefish and they all refuse to eat. Not that I wouldn't spend the money to make my fish happy, I just have limited funds.

Good news! Just saw my ropefish eating! Thanks for all your help! I appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom