Rosy barb replacement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FWFishTanks

Aquarium Advice Addict
My rosy barbs are terrorizing my plants, and they gotta go. I'm not sure what to replace them with. The tank is a planted 75 gallon with pool filter sand. Any suggestions? I was thinking some kind of cichlid (other then bolivian rams or angels, I have these), or a type of catfish/bottom dweller. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Do you have any other fish in the tank?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yes I have angels, Bolivian rams, glass bloodfins, mollies, an apisto trifasciata, guppies, platies, albino cories, clown pleco, and paleteus cories

Black ruby barbs would look nice. They're peaceful and shouldn't be disturbing the plants. Pearl gouramis are another favorite of mine.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

would pearls get along with angels? What about odessa barbs? Could a get some kind of larger catfish? Like some kind of syno? My ph is 6.6, so it may be too low.

Oh oh I got it! A porthole catfish! Does that should good to you guys?

How about columbian tetras or black phantoms? I really like these 3 fish and I think they should do fine. What do you guys/gals think?

I've never had problems with pearl gouramis and angelfish. Porthole cats should be ok. Columbian tetras would look cool. As for the black phantoms, in my experience you want to get them when they're bigger. I got some young ones and they seemed really delicate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've never had problems with pearl gouramis and angelfish. Porthole cats should be ok. Columbian tetras would look cool. As for the black phantoms, in my experience you want to get them when they're bigger. I got some young ones and they seemed really delicate.

Thanks for replying! Now I don't know what to get out of the 4. A school of 8 Colombians, a school of 10 phantoms, a pearl or two, or 4 portholes! :ermm:

I would say get the Columbian tetras. You already have your cories and pleco at the bottom level.

I would say get the Columbian tetras. You already have your cories and pleco at the bottom level.

I love those, but I am worried about nipping. My quarantine is only ten gallons, and 8 Colombians in a ten may be bad. So i wanna get me all at once so I can return them if they nip through a warranty.

I've never heard of them being fin nippers. Bleeding heart tetras would be another option. I've kept them with angels before and they don't bother any long finned fish.

Aright you have more experience with me then me so if you kept them with angels, I'm not to worried anymore

I've never kept Columbian tetras with angels but I've read they tend to be peaceful. If you have a large school in theory they shouldn't harass their tank mates.

I've never kept Columbian tetras with angels but I've read they tend to be peaceful. If you have a large school in theory they shouldn't harass their tank mates.

I see, you have kept bleeding hearts with angels, but like you said, I don't see why Colombians would nip in a large school

Yeah tetras in general keep to themselves and just school with others. I gave witnessed first hand tetra aggression but I believe it was because the school was too small. In the end either the Columbian or black phantom tetras should be ok.

Thanks! I will probably go with columbians, but either way, the one I didn't pick will seem better in my mind.

Back
Top Bottom