ROSY BARBS???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

@HOME

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have 6 tiger barbs and I'm really enjoying how active they are. It's really fun to watch them chase each other all over the tank and they don't ever seem to stop. Very active!!! love it!!!! Wondering if anyone has had experience with Rosy barbs and wether they are as active and fun to watch.

I've kept quite a few Rosy Barbs, Puntius (Barbus) conchonius, over the years. While they're not quite as boisterous as their cousins the Tiger Barbs, Capoeta tetrazona, they're still very active and personable fish. I don't hesitate in recommending them.

I have a rosy barb in my community tank, and two in QT waiting to join their new friends. The two in QT are fighting at the moment, I think because it's just a small tank, but I haven't had any problems with my first one. He's fun to watch - by far the fastest fish in the tank.

I have 4 of them in my 10 gallon right now. They do love to explore. I have a hollow piece of wood with a bunch of holes in it (cactus wood) as well as other rock caves and plants to hide in. They love it. I have one that antagonizes another fish then runs and hides when chased. They do have great personality and are a hoot to watch.

Good article on them in Aquarium fish Magazine this month. they discuss tiger Barbs (puntius tetrazona), rosy barbs (puntius conchonius) and cherry barbs (Puntius titteya)I have cherry barbs but may have to get some rosy barbs after reading the article :D

Thanks for all the comments about rosy barbs. After visiting several lfs and pet stores I finally found a store who carried them. After having seen them I've decided to add serpae tetras instead. They have the nice red coloring, but seemed to be a little more active and much more colorful than the barbs. Plus they don't get as big so they'll have more room in my tank.

Back
Top Bottom