Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-10-2018, 01:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

rotten egg smell

My tank started smelling like bad eggs today. After some research I saw this could be caused by hydrogen sulfide. Looking into that has me scared, is there a chance thats not what this is? If it is can a 29g tank produce dangerous(to humans) levels of it? Thanks for any help.

Old 05-10-2018, 01:57 PM   #2
ZxC
Aquarium Advice Addict

Could you explain the tank a little more?

Usually this is not common in aquaria. It is produced under anaerobic conditions which is tough to do in most "normal" tanks.

How deep it the gravel / substrate?
How often do you clean out the filter / gravel vac?
Are you performing regular water changes?
Is the filter adequate for the tank size?

What source of water are you using?

If it were easy we wouldn't be here
ZxC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 02:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ive been bad about cleaning. Going to get rid of the whole tank. no water change since christmas, been replacinc evaperated water regularly. been at least 2 years since filter cleaning. about 1.5 inches of gravel, last vacuumed at christmas. I added water last night but forgot to add prime. could that cause the smell?

not worried about the tank, only 2 fish left. More worried about the safety of my family
Old 05-10-2018, 02:11 PM   #4
ZxC
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredjb2 View Post
Ive been bad about cleaning. Going to get rid of the whole tank. no water change since christmas, been replacinc evaperated water regularly. been at least 2 years since filter cleaning. about 1.5 inches of gravel, last vacuumed at christmas. I added water last night but forgot to add prime. could that cause the smell?

not worried about the tank, only 2 fish left. More worried about the safety of my family
Hmm... likely tons of blocked flow through that filter ... could be causing anaerobic conditions. Not much you can do other than clean clean clean. I doubt it will be harmful to the family, but if it were mine I would get it cleaned up.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here
ZxC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 02:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks. getting rid of it today. I just can't keep up with it any more.
I'm a worrier so kind of freaking out about the gas but I'm seeing it happens in tanks and I only see mention of it harming the fish so i'm thinking its not enough of a build up to harm humans. just smells bad.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:43 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I’m late to the party, but if you didn’t get rid of your tank gravel vac about a quarter to third of the tank and do a 25-30 percent water change, then do it again in a couple days moving on to the next section of gravel, then again til it’s done. In 3-4 vacuumings you’ll have cleaned most of the gravel and changed out a good portion of the foul water. After that get in the habit of a 25% water change every couple weeks vacuuming a different area of the tank each time. Takes maybe all of 10-20 minutes every couple weeks to take care of a typical 40 breeder or 55 gallon tank.

Tags
egg, rot, smell, ten

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com