Royal plec missing ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wayne1

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys, I need some advice. I bought a juvenile royal plec yesterday and everything seemed fine as I acclimated him and added him to my tank. The thing that's concerning me is that I haven't seen anything of him since, I mean it's literally like he's disappeared. Would you guys consider that to be normal? Is he just settling in somewhere, there are a few places he could be hiding but I thought he would have made a beeline for the wood in the tank. Any opinions or experiences you've had are very very welcome. Thank you guys

I recently got a bristlenose. When I added him he quickly attached himself to the underside of a rock in the back corner of my tank. The first night he came out and explored a bit more. But, they enjoy hiding during the day.

Yeah I know the lil guys come out more at night. I think what's throwing me is that I have another plec in the tank that is out and about day and night. Guess each ones different though

He's most likely hiding, it seems the more expensive the Pleco, the less you see him, trick is to find out it's fav hiding spot and try to arrange it so can catch a glimpse every now and then.. My l134 is a treat to view in my tank..

I think it may be a time/acclimation thing. Mine was very hide during the day out at night for about a week. Then just yesterday I found him sucking on the front glass in the middle of the day.

They also like shade, if you offer Canopys that block the light they will chill in the shade..

Thanks everyone, no need to worry then. I'll just give him some time. He's an amazing specimen, can't wait to see him in the tank

I'm with everyone else, give it time and watch for algae disappearing. Few weeks ago, I picked up a gold nugget pleco. I've seen him once since then. But he is still alive though, every 3-4 days, one of the rocks that is covered in algae will mysteriously be cleaned overnight. So I know he's still alive, just no idea which rock he's holed up in during the day.

Caught a glimpse of him today he's tucked away right at the top of a cave. He's alive cause I saw him moving in there. My only concern now is that he comes out of there and eats at some point. He won't starve in there will he?

Caught a glimpse of him today he's tucked away right at the top of a cave. He's alive cause I saw him moving in there. My only concern now is that he comes out of there and eats at some point. He won't starve in there will he?

Trust me he will not starve to death ! Like all living things he will have a natural instinct to eat ! If you are worried hes not getting enough drop an algae wafter in at night when the lights are off in the rough location of his hideout, he will be fine

He'll be out all night combing the substrate for numnums, you can throw in a veggie wafer or some shrimp pellets depending on his dietary needs..

Algae that forms on the wood will be his number one choice of food but you can supplement that with wafters and anything else that sinks, freeze dried bloodworm is another good choice, i love royals they are stunning fish, not got one myself as i only have a 60 gallon tank but if i ever upgraded a royal would be my first choice

Back
Top Bottom