"Rubber Pleco" ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Burks

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Recently I was browsing the fish selection at Pets Supplies Plus. They had a tank with some plecos in there labeled "Rubber Plecos". Not knowing anything about them I decided not to buy.

Search and really didn't find much, mainly stuff about Rubber Lips and Bulldogs. The pictures I found on Bulldog Plecos sure look a lot like those at the store. Are they the same species but with different common names?

May get one for my 10g, I like the way they look.

www.planetcatfish.com is a good resource - go to the "cat e-log" and type in pleco - you'll get a big list

they do have a "Rubber Pleco" listed - take a look at the pics. They get to be 9" so that would be too big for a 10G.

Looking at the "cat e-log" both the rubbernose and the bulldog have the same species name (Chaetostoma milesi) and get to be about 5".

I don't keep plecos as they are high waste producers (waste:body size ratio) - so I'm not sure either species would be suitable for a 10G tank, but hopefully some of the pleco experts will chime in.

My guess is that it's a rubberlip pleco, which is different from the rubber pleco. I remember having a hard time finding information on it as well. I *think* the rupperlip and the bulldog are most likely considered the same species.

rubberlip and bulldog are the same, just depends what LFS you go to. It should be fine for your tank so long as you keep up with it. I would do 15% PWC every week, and make sure that you get around the plecos hiding spot as that will be a poo spot.

I think no tank is complete without a pleco gracing it :D But hey, im biased :)

-Pleco

everyone should have a pleco, theres no reason anyone shouldnt have a pleco

but ya, rubber plecos are rubberlips

Rubber plecos and Rubber lip/nose plecos are not the same. Rubberlip/nose plecos are the same thing as bulldog plecos....like stated above.

I'd go with something smaller than a Bulldog. A 5 inch poop machine is a little big for a 10g IMO. Some of the fancy plecos get a tad smaller than 5 inches...I'd go for one of them....or see if you can find what is called a Pitbull pleco. Its like an oto but a little bigger. They are cute and stay around 2 inches...perfect for a 10g.

All plecos are cute, they are all poop machines too :) even if they get a smaller one they would have to commit to PWC's every week otherwise the poop could get the water parameters out of hand quite fast.

-Pleco

hc8719 said:
everyone should have a pleco, theres no reason anyone shouldnt have a pleco

but ya, rubber plecos are rubberlips

Plecos eat eggs. No pleco for me!

But if I didn't have a spawning pair, I would have one.

Oh man, I just have to say those rubber plecos are the coolest things I have ever seen, especially the orange coloration. They're on my list now.

Yup, it's a Rubber-Lip Pleco. Almost 100% sure of that.

Thanks for all the help. The ones at the store are still fairly small, about 2.5-3", so I may get one. I'll have the 40g breeder up and running pretty soon. PWC don't bother me a bit. I do enough work on the tanks as it is. A little more won't kill me!

I've had mine for about a year and he doesn't appear to have grown at all ... he's at most 3"

jibboo said:
I've had mine for about a year and he doesn't appear to have grown at all ... he's at most 3"

Cool!

What kind of pleco is that as your avatar? I noticed one at one of the local shops similar to that but without the gold fin tips.

Its a Gold Nugget Pleco - L-18 ... I believe there are a few other L-numbers which is why you can find some with the gold edges and others without.

Back
Top Bottom