Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-20-2005, 01:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Hrafnkel Send a message via MSN to Hrafnkel Send a message via Yahoo to Hrafnkel
Rubberlip Pleco for my tank?

It's pretty well done now, (see sig) but I was wondering if I could fit a rubberlip pleco in there for algae maintenance/general cleanup.

29gal: 1 Green Severum, 1 Convict, 3 Bronze Cories
55gal: 5 Bloodfin Tetras, 6 Black Skirt Tetras, 1 Blood Parrot, 1 African Brown Knife, 1 Striped Raphael, 1 Ropefish, 2 Clown Loaches, 1 Yoyo Loach, 1 Angelfish
Hrafnkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 04:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Hrafnkel Send a message via MSN to Hrafnkel Send a message via Yahoo to Hrafnkel
Bump (made topic title more explanatory)

55gal: 5 Bloodfin Tetras, 6 Black Skirt Tetras, 1 Blood Parrot, 1 African Brown Knife, 1 Striped Raphael, 1 Ropefish, 2 Clown Loaches, 1 Yoyo Loach, 1 Angelfish
Old 10-20-2005, 05:41 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
I have a rubberlip in my tank...I love him to death, but he isn't the greatest at eating algae. He'll eat the algae wafers and he'll eat sinking meat pellets too. He does suck on the glass, but not enough where he could be a maintenance fish.

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
lmw80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 05:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah, I kinda knew that... That's just the excuse I've chosen to justify getting one. >.>
Old 10-20-2005, 06:01 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
lol, I think we've all been guilty of that!

Old 10-20-2005, 06:11 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So do you think he'd fit?
Old 10-21-2005, 09:37 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Also wondering if I can get a definite confirmation on their size... I've mostly hear 6", is that correct?
Old 10-21-2005, 10:16 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

I would be cautious becuase of the other bottom dwelling species you already have in the tank. My guy is 3 or 4" tops, and I don't think they get larger than 5", but my guys is fully grown.

Old 10-21-2005, 02:03 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Cautious in what sense? Worry that the pleco would harm them, or they'd harm the pleco, or what?
Old 10-22-2005, 02:12 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Bump again, since my topic's just getting pushed farther down and is still pretty much unanswered.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:43 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

The striped raphael & rubberlip are both pretty non-aggressive as far as plecos go in my opinion. However along with the 2 eels you are setting up some pretty crowded bottem conditions for the tank. Even if they aren't openly aggressive with one another someone may not thrive due to lack of space since the eels will get kinda big. You could try it and it might work but I personally think you have the bottem of your tank stocked as is. Hope that helps.

If you decide to go for it maybe you should get a bristlenose instead for the whole algae clean up, it would do a much better job then the rubber lip.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:21 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Nowhere carries bristlenoses (and I didn't realize striped raphaels were considered plecos?) around here, really. One place a few hours off does but they charge an arm and a leg for 'em. I may try it, I'll be setting up a 29 in December more than likely with a south american theme, so if one doesn't fit in the long run I could put it in there. Plus, my eels prefer to lay on top of the driftwood, rather than on the bottom. Or, when not doing that, one eel likes to hide in a hollowed out part in the middle of it.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:35 PM   #13
RoK
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to RoK Send a message via MSN to RoK
Max for them is actually only like 4".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrafnkel
(and I didn't realize striped raphaels were considered plecos?)
Maybe she meant catfish because they aren't considered plecos.
Current fish (includes all 3 running tanks): Polypterids, severums (of which I raised from eggs), gouramis, plecos (gold spot ones & a gurupa), loaches (zebras, yoyos, & a kubotai), macculocchi spotted silver dollars, an African butterfly fish, & Ctenopomas (a leopard & an ansorgii)
RoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 09:52 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think I'll go ahead and try it, seeing as I can always move one into the 29 later if it doesn't work.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:53 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoK

Maybe he meant catfish because they aren't considered plecos.
I tend to refer to alot of catfish as plecos that aren't actually plecos. Sorry. But Rok was right I meant catfish....some of them can get territorial with age and would be considered aggressive towards other catfish. The striped Raphael catfish, bristlenose, and rubberlip are all ones that have a more "peaceful" reputation.

Oh and I'm a girl! Really Really I am! Though apparenly I come of very manly....hmm.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:30 AM   #16
RoK
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to RoK Send a message via MSN to RoK
Sorry about that, I fixed it.

Current fish (includes all 3 running tanks): Polypterids, severums (of which I raised from eggs), gouramis, plecos (gold spot ones & a gurupa), loaches (zebras, yoyos, & a kubotai), macculocchi spotted silver dollars, an African butterfly fish, & Ctenopomas (a leopard & an ansorgii)
RoK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pleco, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com