Rubbernose pleco hiding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Parrisgg

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently got a rubbernose pleco but all he does is hide under my driftwood all day. I saw him swimming around the first day I introduced him, but after that I haven't seen him since. I have had him for around 3 weeks now.

Parrisgg said:
I recently got a rubbernose pleco but all he does is hide under my driftwood all day. I saw him swimming around the first day I introduced him, but after that I haven't seen him since. I have had him for around 3 weeks now.

Mine was the same when I got him, they're nocturnal. It took ages for me too see mine eat he was very shy I added cucumber when the lights went out & he went mad for it lol mine still hides during the day had him over a year now just the odd time I see him he's one of my fav,s :)

Plecos find a cozy spot and hide, its just what they do. Make sure you are feeding it algae disc or something.

Albino bristlenose pleco's are the only pleco I know of that is known to be more active in the day. I have a longfin albino bnp and I see her toddling around most of the day. She tries to stay in the shaded area's when the metal halide lights are on but she is still out eating and moving around. Your pleco is perfectly normal. I feed mine 2-3x a week after lights are out at night with softened zucchini or peas. If you get some blue LED lights for your tank you could view him when he is active.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1441309267.976222.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1441309293.243151.jpg

My rubbernose has been out for an hour tonight swimming around and is still going, but this is the first time since i bought him.
Had him around 6 days now.

Glad to be able to get a picture or two!!!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

There's one in one of my guppy tanks that mostly hides. I had one a few years ago and he was friendly. Maybe depends on the fish?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would have to agree on the lighter color ABN's being out more. I have a males ABN who is out and about all day as well as a young ABN and A female L144 lemon BN All three are out a good part of the day. Plus the color makes them stand out like sore thumbs and not blend into the background They are my favorite fish in my tanks. Alison

In the end plecos are not some active fish you are going to come home and see swimming around.

Most of them hide throughout the day.

Caleb

I quite like the illusive nature of my BN. Somehow it makes him more special than the other fish which I see all the time.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

My BN Pleco (wild-type, I believe) is out and about during the day. This lighting in this tank isn't super-strong, but it's bright and the substrate is light-colored.

On the other hand, Clown Pleco hides between bogwood pieces for most of the day, despite being in a tank that has dim lighting (partially blocked by floating Hornwort), black sand, and a black background. He'll poke his heat out every so often during daylight hours, but not for long.

Most plecos are nocturnal by nature, but tend to show themselves more as they settle in. Plenty of hidey holes and lower lights help a lot.

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom