Ruby tetra vs Von rio flame tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alefaz14

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I am looking to add a school of hardy, active cool looking fish (preferably red colored) to my aquarium. I want them to be mostly peaceful and a smaller tetra, under 2 inches, and so far I have found that both ruby tetras and von rio flame tetras would be good options. Which one do you guys prefer more and why?

How big is the tank and what other fish do you have? Ember tetras and red phantom tetras could be another option.

And at the moment I have 3 SAEs, 1 bristle nose pleco, and 4 amano shrimp. I am going to have 1 bolivian ram plus the tetras that I decide on, I'm still on the picking stage for the tetras.

I'd say flame Von rio tetras would be better because in my experience, ruby red tetras are shy. Ember tetras are good nano fish but not overly red.

I haven't had ruby tetras, but I can't seem to keep von rio flames alive! All 5 died one by one in the span of maybe 4 months, while neons and rams and everyone else are still living.

I love the look of ember tetras, like another poster mentioned. Another option is serpae, sometimes called "red minor" tetras, though I've heard they CAN be nippy. I don't personally have them but they haven't nipped fins in the tanks at my work, as far as I can tell.

The tetras that I have had in mind so far are:
-Black phantom tetra
-Lemon tetra
-Halequin rasbora
-Ruby tetra
-Von rio flame tetra
-Neon tetra
-Rummy nose tetra

Ive thought about Serpae tetras but most of the reviews I have seen are that they are a little nippy.

I'm a fan of neons and cardinals. Most of the others I've seen aren't that interestingly colored (imo, obviously). They may also exhibit different coloring under my lighting vs. what they look like in the store. Also, I got my neons for stupid cheap, and only lost four of the 22 I bought (within the first two weeks, the rest have been alive for two months now).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm a fan of neons and cardinals. Most of the others I've seen aren't that interestingly colored (imo, obviously). They may also exhibit different coloring under my lighting vs. what they look like in the store. Also, I got my neons for stupid cheap, and only lost four of the 22 I bought (within the first two weeks, the rest have been alive for two months now).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ive been seriously considering neons and from what you have said it sounds like they would be a pretty good option.

If you like serape tetras, I would advise getting red phantom tetras. They have similar coloration and are not as aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom