Rummy Nose Tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TwoHobbies

Aquarium Advice Freak
I purchased 3 (thats all they had) rummy nose tetras last night from my LFS. Their noses were pink not red and their tales were not a dark black checker.

It's about a half hour drive home, and by then they had no color at all.

This morning their noses were bright red and their tales had a good checker black and white.

Was this all stress. I really expected at least 1 to not make the night.

Yes, they lose their color when they are under stress or not happy. If they like their tank and have plenty of cover their noses will glow bright red. Very pretty fish. Congrats on the pickup.

I'm sure it was stress from the travel. When they get settled in to their new home, the colors should be vibrant. These are my favorite tetras. Enjoy them.

Yep I'd say stress is all.......they are pretty timid when it comes to the move. Not the easiest fish to acclimate also.

Sound like ya did it though.
Good luck with em.

As everyone said, it is just stress. Also, there are at least three different types of Rummynose Tetras. If I find the link explaining the different ones, I'll post it.

Here ya go:
http://www.petsforum.com/characin/carey/articles/98/three_rummynose.html
Mine are h. bleheri, I believe.

They can be pretty delicate fish, so it's good that yours survived the ride home and the acclimation. You seem to be doing well since they have colored up again. IME these are shy fish and will still take a while to get used to your tank. You may notice that they don't eat for a while- I didn't see mine eat for about 2 weeks! Don't worry. Just give them time and it will happen. It is also normal for them to spend most of the time near the bottom of the tank. Mine would only catch falling food for a long time. It literally took them a couple of months to start eating off the surface. I think I would have to say that they are my favorite tetras too. And BrianNY- I love the way they look in discus tanks! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom