Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-24-2007, 07:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Rummy Nose Versus Cory?!

I feel foolish even saying this - but my rummy nose tetras are bullying my poor corys! There is a huge piece of coral in the middle of the tank where I see the corys taking to from time to time - now I think I know why....... The rummy noses seem to be dive bombing the corys for their own amusement. Will this be detrimental to the corys? More specifically, I am worried about it stressing them out and making them vulnerable to diseases. I have four live plants, but none of them are really lush enough for fish to hide in - should I be adding other hiding spots?! Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would add hiding places if you don't have any. That should make them a little more comfortable. What kind of cories are they?

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Welcome to AA! Adding more hiding spots is an excellent idea. What size tank do you have?

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to SerLunchbox Send a message via AIM to SerLunchbox Send a message via MSN to SerLunchbox Send a message via Yahoo to SerLunchbox
I will 3rd the adding of hiding spots .. but i will go a step further and say maybe have a 2 exit/entrance spot.

Adding more plants may also help so long as they off adequate hiding/relaxation for the corydoras. If you do add more hiding spots, you may not see your corys for some time as well and maybe not at all.

If you are worried about damage it really depends on the species of cory. most have a nice hard outer shell to protect them but some don't have quite as tough as an outside. Another option may be to add more rummy noses ... I found that when I had them that they were a terror unless in a huge shoal.

Tankless ... for now ... until i find what i really want (and what the wife lets me get!)
SerLunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:05 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to zenkatydid Send a message via AIM to zenkatydid Send a message via MSN to zenkatydid
if you want to add more plants, try finding some broad-leafed variaties. like a sword, if you have a big enoguh tank, or anubias or crypts for a smaller tank.
zenkatydid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 06:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I am not sure what kind of corys they are (blush) - spotted?
I have a 29 gallon tank with one huge piece of coral that has at least four 'tunnels' in it. I think I will go with the general consensus and provide more hiding spaces.

I might well go with the idea of more rummys too - maybe it'll keep them occupied .....

Thanks very much guys.

Tags
cory, nose

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com