rummynose feeding habits?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zilla870

Aquarium Advice FINatic
where do rummynose feed? they seem healthy but i havent seen them feed yet. do they eat off top or bottom or both? just a little wonder. clown plecos are doing fine and my panadas too. TIA.

mid tank oh great. thats the area i dont like to feed. i feel i will overfeed the tank and then all the clean afterwards

I don't feed them special. I feed the tank. They get what falls down, then the cats get what hits the bottom.

Yeah, he don't like it much but someone has to clean the bottom. :wink:

Of cource I meant cory cats. :)

yes i know. just had to say it. my white cloud thinks he's a rummynose now that i but her in my 40g because the danio wont leave her alone. and the male took the leap of faith out of my tank by the filter.

Interesting, I'm having the same issue with Rummies... they don't seem to get a
whole lot of food and don't come to the surface. They actually seem to even "hate"
to stop for a bite, and break the swimming school, LOL
Right now, the most they eat is when I drop a pill for bottom feeders, they swim
around and pick up some particles in suspension. But they do look very healthy...

Only 1 of my 6 rummies will ever come up to the surface to eat. The others all stay down around the middle of the tank like Fluff said. If you don't notice them eating at first don't worry about it too much. I didn't see mine eat for a few weeks, but after they settled in they were fine. :mrgreen:

8O Am I doing something wrong? My rummys will often come to the surface and mix it up with the zebra danios to get some food. Never really thought about it. Is that weird? I feed them once a day, alternating flakes, gel food, and frozen food.

If your rummies come to the surface to eat that doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong, just means yours may get fatter than mine! :lol:

severum mama said:
If your rummies come to the surface to eat that doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong, just means yours may get fatter than mine! :lol:

:lol:

Of course, they eat better than I do, even if they don't act "normal". Then again, the whole concept of "normal" is relative at our house. My wife always says that if our girls grow up thinking I'm normal, their concept of weird is going to be seriously warped.

Back on topic, I know I have seen those wafers you can stick on the glass mid-tank for those mid-water feeders. That might help.

How about some veggies in a veggie clip stuck on the middle of the tank?

I don't have rummynose (yet....) but i have serpae who always eat in the middle. I feed them some tiny sinking shrimp pellets. They love to catch those they get down to the "proper" depth. They also like to munch on the veggies whenever the gourami and the angel are not around. :mrgreen:

I also have 6 Rummys and they NEVER come to the surface. They eat whatever my Angels spit out once it gets to mid-tank. I don't think any full size flakes ever make it past my angels. My Angels are PIGS!

I've had 4 rummynose for about a week now. They tend to swim in the low mid section of my aquarium. Initially, since they were new occupants and are smaller than my other fish (danios, rasboras, gourami) they were afraid to come to the surface with the other fish during feeding. Now, they are swimming to the top surface and gobbling up the goodies. I've also observed them sniffing out some sinking wafers.

It may be a matter of your tank inhabitants and the individual personality of your fish. As long as they get some food one way or another, they should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom