Running a bubble wall in back of tank 24/7?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Absolutely not. You are oxgenating the tank with these bubbles. The only precaution you need is to make sure your pump is not in close proximity to the tank or any electrical current. There have been mishaps (clogged air lines) and water travelling along the hose to the outlet. You should also have a loop to ensure that doesn't occur.

Well, running it 24/7 will skyrocket your electric bill by about 20 cents a month! :D
The bubblewall makes a nice effect, keeps the tank well aerated, and some fish love to play in the bubbles. I don't see any disadvantage to running one, unless you're dosing CO2 for plants.

even in planted aquaria...

When the lights go out and O2 uptake takes in I could see the need for some airiation but... thats not 24/7.. thats lights out.. good advise though guys..

As long as you like it you can run it whenever you want. :D I used to use one and I have a school of barbs that would play in the bubbles all the time- really cute stuff!

I agree, it's a great way to ensure that your water has a good O2 content. QTOFFER has a good point with the CO2 injection though. If you are injecting CO2 for plants the bubbles will increase the surface area of your tank and cause the CO2 to outgas much more quickly than it normally would. As a counterpoint, however, pressurized CO2 injection is incredibly cheap to begin with (about $5 a month for the gas in a 125G tank) so if you're willing to pay a little more than that I see no reason not to use it in combination. I have a full length bubble wall in my CO2 injected 125G that I turn on once in a while just for kicks and I haven't really noticed much as far as increased CO2 costs :p

Back
Top Bottom