running dual-canisters??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

huma-huma

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 55g tall that im going to be setting up over the next 2 months. I know that the general rule for stocking is 1 gallon per adult inch of fish...which im ok with.. im going to be buying a flucal 405 canister for the tank and was wondering, if i ran 2 405's, would i be able to slightly overstock the tank?? Im not talking about putting 100 fish in my tank, but id like to be able to have 60-65 fish and still have some headroom in terms of bioload and filtratiin..any comments or suggestions would help

I have a 55g tall that im going to be setting up over the next 2 months. I know that the general rule for stocking is 1 gallon per adult inch of fish...
no, its really not

im going to be buying a flucal 405 canister for the tank and was wondering, if i ran 2 405's, would i be able to slightly overstock the tank?? Im not talking about putting 100 fish in my tank, but id like to be able to have 60-65 fish and still have some headroom in terms of bioload and filtratiin..any comments or suggestions would help
You can have 15 canisters, but that wont mean much really. Anything more than necessary is just extra flow. If you have a really heavy bioload, youre going to have a lot of nitrates. If you can keep your nitrates under control, you can stock heavier, provided you stock appropriate fish. It's really a matter of how well you take care of your tank, as well as the bioload that each fish produces

We would need a better idea of what kind of fish you are considering. Some are large bioload and some are less. Really cant say without knowing. BTW, the one inch per gallon is a very vague guideline because of that. You will find that rule much debated on this site.

mainly gonna be smaller schooling fish
10 neon tetras
5-6 silver-tip tetras
2-3 GBR's
3-4 golden algaes
6-7 gglofish
5 angels.... that's the main ones..may throw a few others in as well

Angels might be pretty aggressive with the smaller fish....Rest of the list looks good.

see thatsthe crazy part! everyone has told me the same exact thing along the way and i havent had any severe issues with the Angels yet, my yellow/black mix that i have now gets kinda moody but nothing bad... so the general agreement is that with these relatively small fish, i should be able to stock 60-65 of them and be ok...as long as i keep up on tank maintence??

Back
Top Bottom