Runt Tiger Barb/Pristella Tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taylorodw

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello,
I had a school of 5 Tiger Barbs. A few days ago one got stuck to the filter and passed, which is quite sad. So the school is now down to 4.

Of the 4, 3 of them are about 1 and 1/4 inch long, fat, healthy. It's clear to see which is the most dominant, shows the most color, etc.

The last one, though, is about 1/2 in long, and only about 1/4 in high. He or she hides right underneath my filter fairly often. Its colors aren't bad, but it just hasn't grown along with the other Barbs - it's the same size as when I purchased it. I've either had it for 2 or 3 months, I don't know which batch it was in.

I have watched while feeding them and he does eat, but not as much. I make sure to spread the flake food all around the tank so that everybody gets a chance.

I also have a school of 5 Pristella Tetras, 4 golden and 1 x-ray (darn Petco employees sold them all to me as golden... jerks). All but 1 have grown steadily and are about the same length as the Tiger Barbs. However, one of the golden pristellas is very small - about the same size as the runt barb. This little guy eats but he has also stayed the same size since purchase. I have had all my tetras for 3 months.

Should I be worried? All the other specimens are the same size, except for those. Thanks for any feedback!

I have a shoal of 8 tiger barbs and I too have one tiny guy but he fits right in and chases the bigger oens too. Not really sure maybe the group is intended to have a small one?

Honestly, I wouldn't worry much about it if the fish eat normally and don't appear sick. There really isn't much you can do about it anyway.

Back
Top Bottom