Sad Day for My Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottyhorse

Aquarium Advice Addict
I woke up this morning to find a dead male betta, and a dead female gold barb. Both in separate tanks. I don't know why they died. I just got the betta on Saturday, too :(

Losing fish is never fun.. One of the downfalls of this hobby. Have you done anything differently to the tanks? Hows your water? It comes to mind only because you said they were in two different tanks. Could be your tap water? Or were they both fairly new? Maybe something took a bit to show that was originally in the tanks there? There could be many things..I've learned sometimes you will never know the actual cause of the deaths..In those cases I choose to chalk it up to another fishie mystery instead of trying to break it down into all the various chemical equations making myself mental.

Well, in the 25 I am going through a slight mini cycle, but I would expect to loose a ram before a barb, you know? It was weird. The poor thing had NO color, so at first I couldn't figure out who it was. It was also ripped open and all the eggs and insides had been eaten. Everyone else was fine.. I think I got the barbs on Saturday. They do like to get in the other fishes faces, so maybe someone had enough of it? My tap has a little nitrite in it, but less than .25 ppm.

In the betta tank, (I also got him on Saturday) I did a water change, maybe I added too much conditioner? I use the stuff by API, because it came with my tank kit. It was either that, or the water was too cold. I was going to get a heater in a couple days though. *Sigh* I woke up, at he was just sitting on the bottom of the tank. He was kind of white, but I know it wasn't ick.

Sorry to hear that. How did you acclimate them when you put them in the tank?

Sorry to hear that. How did you acclimate them when you put them in the tank?

I drip acclimated them. Then put them in a fish bag (I keep them for cases like these from when I buy fish) and float them for a while. I drip regular fish for 1 hour, and sensitive fish like rams for 2 hours.

I've never dripped any of my fish. Not saying your doing anything wrong. I was always told with my fish anyway. Float the bag and then empty the water over a bucket and into a net. Once the fish is on the net "shoot" it in the tank.

Well... I've been lucky except the last time. Now I got ich. Anyway....

Again sorry bro

I do the drip with sensitive fish. I always scoop them with my hand when its time to put them in the tanks though. I'm too afraid of other peoples water..lol

Do you actually scoop them with your hand? I am not an expert, but I understand that you can do damage to the scales when you do that. I would look it up if you can. I would stick to the net and bucket system. I tried it over the sink and well, I lost a guppy.

After I drip them, I put them in a bag and acclimate them to the tank temp. After that I dump the water into a bucket and the fish land in a net.

Still wish I could figure it out.

Do you actually scoop them with your hand? I am not an expert, but I understand that you can do damage to the scales when you do that. I would look it up if you can. I would stick to the net and bucket system. I tried it over the sink and well, I lost a guppy.

Yep I let them swim right into my hand and then gently let them swim out of my hand in their new home(s). I haven't had any injuries to the fish doing it this way ever. They actually seem to be a lot calmer than when I see other people using nets. (No flip flopping at all) It's almost like they just lay down until its time to swim away.

Bettas actually come to less harm when you scoop them with your hand than netting them. Those flowing fins get caught real easily in a net.

Scottyhorse said:
After I drip them, I put them in a bag and acclimate them to the tank temp. After that I dump the water into a bucket and the fish land in a net.

Still wish I could figure it out.

The point of the drip is to slowly match temp and parameters. Less time in the bags the better, imo.

Back
Top Bottom