Sad Night...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

papa_bear_21

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, got home from work last night, and during the nightly tank check I saw Nubie (my new H. Punctatus pleco) layin up front. I thought cool, he's out, maybe he's getting used to his new home. After a few minutes, he didnt move, which really doesnt surprise me, as my gibby does this a lot. Well, I got to looking a little closer, and his color wasnt the same. The more I looked, the worse of a feeling I got, until I tapped him with a net, and got no response. Fished him out, and inspected him. I didnt notice any signs of trauma, no torn fins, or anything like that. Could I have over stressed him too much with all the moving? He started out in a 29 gallon tank, and then within a week, he was moved into a rubbermaid tote for a tank upgrade, then back into the old tank, then into the new tank. Is it possible that I stressed him out too much and he starved himself, or it just took its toll on him? His stomach looked a little sucked in, but not very noticable. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Bear

hypostomus punctatus, omnivore, diet of sinking pellets and cucumbers...water perams were ammonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrates ~15 PH ~7.8

Sorry for your loss. Stress might have been a factor, he may have just had too much moving but it might also be one of those unexplained deaths. Either way I am so sorry.

I'm thinking stress is a major contributor, and with his belly sucked in, starvation is a secondary factor. I really liked him, might get another one. We are still planning on getting an L340 Mega Clown Pleco, might get us another H. Punctatus, we'll see...

Thank you Zagz

I think you should get another one. It's clear from your intentions of getting him into a bigger tank that another one will have a great home with you.

between him and my gibbi, we needed the bigger tank, and wasnt gonna keep them cramped up in the 29...maybe we'll be able to find us another one we like when we go L340 huntin...hopefully they have more of the 340...he was cool

Well, we were at the LFS and saw a new H. Punctatus that we had to have, so Nubie is back. We also picked up Clown, the L340 that we were wanting. All are doing well, Nubie and Spot (my gibby) are venturing out and having a good time fighitng the loaches for food. Clown has been hiding in the driftwood at the front of the tank, in a nice dark shaded spot, which allows for viewing. He has started coming out more and more, as it's been about 2 weeks for him to be in his new home. He's a cute lil guy, hope to get some pictures soon.

Bear

Zagz said:
Congrats on the new acquisitions. Hope to see those pics soon.

So do I...LOL The digital has been in need of batteries for some time, hopefully I can scrounge up some rechargables, and snap a few...I think I might actually be getting my laptop working, so I will be able to upload the pics tonite, since the DSL at home is out. I am hoping for pictures tonite, keep fingers crossed...

Well, finally got the camera up and running, as well as my laptop...so here come some pics, they are not the best, as the lighting in the tank is not all that good. Will try to get some better ones tonite, if he's out and about again...

img_821472_0_ab94e325c186eca85509386817684e04.jpg

img_821472_1_21fe505f3ef903ff4289ce6518b95ecd.jpg

img_821472_2_e5b34aa9f44f4b22e287944cb045f5f9.jpg

img_821472_3_e5b63838ae2c1bea15608fa896f584fc.jpg

Back
Top Bottom