Sadly...my gups are no more

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SCFatz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This is a tick odd.

I had three male gups in the 29.They had been there for many monthes.
Over the last few weeks I noticed one was a little bloated but otherwise fine.The others looked great.

I used to breed gups many years back as a hobby and I chose these carefully.They were gorgeous fish.

The one was on "watch" but the other two were fine.

Yesterday I find none em alive.
I've worked seven twelve hour nights in a row so my attention wasn't as it would usually be,but I missed something.The water has been testing fine,but as you might imagine after the deathes the nitrates were well into the red on the AP card.1 50% change brought them down to around 15-20 though so not to bad.

If the ammonia or trites spiked I'd expect the neons or ottos to check out first...but perhaps not.

I do have two gouramis in there but I have never seen any agression.Actually never have..that would have had to have changed acutely but its posssible I suppose.

Any thoughts?...I'm lost as to the reason I lost all three.

Sorry for your loss. I have had guppies die suddenly as well. It may be impossible to figure out why it was the guppies only when the other fish weren't affected. Sometimes we aren't able to figure out the reason for fish deaths.

i have also had guppy deaths that i couldnt explain. i can go to bed with 5 healthy guppies and wake up to 2 stuck to the filter and the other 3 swimming around like nothing was wrong all my test were ok and the rest of the fish were fine though. i am starting to believe age has a factor on it.

I've had terrible luck with guppies. They look great, QT great, I get them in the tank and they're great - and then 6 wks later I find them eating in the evening and dead in the morning. I've given up on them actually. I've been blaming it on my pH which is 8.4 but they QT well for 2 wks so sometimes I have to wonder if that really IS the reason.
I REALLY wish I could keep them alive - I'd love to do one of the new 20G longs as a guppy tank - it would be spectacular. Alas, I dare not even try

I had 4 very healthy guppies that just went missing over night.
No other large fish in the tank at all.
Checked everywhere in the tank.
Found one and that was it.

I don't bother with them anymore.

I found the dead guppy, it was behind the HOB filter stuk to the inlet. After the whole incident with the wife and her guppies, as beautiful as they are I cant take all the deaths. They are just so cute and the way the blue one would wag its tail when my wife came by really excited her. she was kind of neutral on the tanks until she fell in love with the guppy, then it died.

she's going to love the ghost shrimp and since they all look alike...

I never have luck with male guppies, but i have a female that i have kept sucsessfully for almost 5 months. I finally got a male from walmart(part of my rescue mission) thaat was doing great until i got a baby anghelfish which bit its tail off, lol.

Interesting.It seems rather common.

If memory serves the japanese were doing a lot of "back breeding" as it was called then. It had to do with hindering the ability to produce pure fry from two like fish or something or other...a way to prevent potential competition by limiting pure strain prduction outside of the original source.I wonder if the practice has taken a toll over the years?

These fish were doing great...then one was a little bloated....now all three are dead.
Strange stuff I tell ya....I know for sure that were not this frail 15-20 years ago.At least I remember them being quite hardy.

No doubt whatever the reason it sucks.As you may have noticed I'm a big gup fan and these guys were true treasures.Absolutely beutiful.

well its seem almost everyone encounter guppy mysterious death too.well in my opinion sometimes age factor may be the reason why guppy died unexpectedly especially guppy being bred starting from the 2nd generation and beyond as these bunch of guppies are no that healthy so as they keep on breeding , most likely their genes will be inherited by their fry.

Back
Top Bottom