SAE?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wizzard~Of~Ozz

Aquarium Advice Addict
SAE.jpg

I just wanted to confirm I did find a real SAE.. I read through the descriptions of the false ones and this doesn't fit any (only 2 barbs, black around each scale).. if it is, then I'll keep an eye out for a couple more, they are so delicate with the plants :)

yes--definitely a true sae--crossocheilus siamensis--and not the thai flying fox! BEST algae eaters around!

Went into the store today to return 2 Golden CAE (one was clear over 5 inches) and they went right into the stores display tank where one proply made the mistake of laying on a rock that had a fish breeding under it, (can't remember what kind the fish were, but they attacked in packs and looked close to kribs, the previous generation protects the next generation).. He learned real fast not to lay there.. but otherwise looks really happy (along with the other 1, and my sisters 2 one of which was just pushing 5")

But I went to see what I wanted to pick up in exchange, got 1 rubbernose pleco for my sisters 20Gal (it will be moved to either my 125 when I get it set up, or the 75 that's going to her) and 2 more True SAE that they just got out of a display planted tank (they were in an unmarked tank, 1 advantage of knowing what to look for).. Got them in the tank and the first one is showing them around.. they seem to school which is cool. (I know there is more then enough food in there for them)

Total
2 x SAE = 3.88 each (7.76)
1 x Rubbernose = 4.88
----------------------------
-12.00 trade in
-------
64 cents for a rubbernose and 2 true SAE :D

i just bought 2 of those guys and i agree that they are awsome algea eaters!!. i was having a problem with hair algea on my plants and they are clearing it up really fast.i also notice that they chase each other around i have actually seen one of then cleaning the other!! 8O thay look kinda like sharks i love them i am thinknig of getting more

They are Barbs. one of the most common fish to be called "sharks" (Bala for instance).

I have a bunch of different algae for them to feast on.. no shortage of work for them.. along with the 8 oto's and bunches of glass shrimp.

Hopefully the algae will calm down when I get the Co2 goin on this tank. (waiting on parts)..

wow i just noticed the price on the sae's for u and that sucks. they were on sale at big als for 1.99 for 2. normally like 1.50 each. how big are the ones u bought?

These are True SAE, they had flying fox @ 2 for 1.99 here and CAE for 1.29 each.

They are about 2.5" and not babies..

I deal with Bigals in Oakville and BigAls in Stoney creek. and we just guessed on the price, they were in unmarked tanks..

Back
Top Bottom