SAE behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patryuji

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just trying to get 100% confirmation that I definitely have SAEs...I believe I do from images I have seen so far at about 5 different websites (mainly sites concerned with planted aquaria). Images are all good and well but I figure behavior would be the most sure indicator.

The SAEs spend much of their time either picking at the brown stuff on the back glass of my aquarium (but it doesn't seem to ever be cleaned). They will often stay together in a tight group when not feeding but occassionally rest in separate areas of the tank. Every once in awhile one will be slightly aggressive with the other two (who then reciprocate such aggressiveness only to that one but never between the other two). They often pick through my hornwort and javamoss. They also like to eat at the "beard" algae that took over my moneywort awhile ago (when I had the lighting and other factors out of wack). Additionally whenever there is flake floating down I often see them eat a bit of it. They don't voraciously go after the flake but will eat some of it if it happens to float by them.

Does this sound like normal expected behavior so far?

Tank conditions are as follows: ph 7.0, GH ~6 degrees, KH ~5 degrees, temps around 79 degrees (I will be dropping it to 77 over the next two weeks and observe if the cories seem happier and the loaches are still fine...perhaps the tiger won't be as fiesty at the slightly lower temp)...NO2 and NH3 are fluctuating right now as I just dumped everybody from the QT into my main tank which wasn't quite ready after the last fish was added to it but I also added bio-spira at the same time.

Your whole post sounds fine. SAE behaviour sounds much like mine, no worries there. Not sure from your post wether you have 3 or 4, but I suggest 3 minimum, to keep the sqabbling between themselves. less than 3, they somtimes get aggro on your other fish. All sounds fine with yours.

To me, the most definitive feature that differentiates SAEs from imitators (e.g. Flying Foxes) is the continuation of the black lateral stripe through the tail fin. SAEs have it; Flying Foxes do not.

A lot of sites have inaccurate images, as many ppl don't truly know the difference between these fish and others that look fairly similar.

I have the site for differentiating the two bookmarked on my computer, but I'm using my g/f's computer now. Darn!

Back
Top Bottom