Safe epoxy glue to repair tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tigroscr

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can someone please tell me what a safe but strong epoxy glue I could get to repair a tank, I just found an awesome deal on a 55 gallon (since petco ran out of stock) for $20 at a yard sale. The middle bracket is broken a little bit but I was going to glue it and order new glass lids and reseal it even though it doesn't look like it really needs the resealing just to be safe! Any ideas are appreciated

Ok I just started cleaning the bottom which was pretty dirty btw and saw the manufacturer is Quantum. Anyone ever heard of them? The lady I bought it from said it was her son's and she has no idea how old it is!

I can't even find anything on google for quantum tanks!!! I wonder how darn old this thing is besides be dirty though it seems to be in good shape!

Tigroscr said:
I can't even find anything on google for quantum tanks!!! I wonder how darn old this thing is besides be dirty though it seems to be in good shape!

The only thing I can come up with for Quantum is fish decor and lights, this thing must be an antique! Lol! thank God it was only $20 bucks! Rofl!!

I wouldn't trust epoxy to hold the plastic. It would be safer to screw a plexiglas strip to the existing brace away from the cracks, or silicone in a glass brace beneath the plastic one.

BillD said:
I wouldn't trust epoxy to hold the plastic. It would be safer to screw a plexiglas strip to the existing brace away from the cracks, or silicone in a glass brace beneath the plastic one.

Ok, but what kind of silicone? Do they have some safe for fish? Also what can I use to reseal just in case around the tank on the inside?

You can get the aquarium specific one, lots of LFS carry it or the outdoor silicon found at hardware shops. It's 100% silicon meant for doors and windows and it shouldn't have anything that prevents mildew.

Back
Top Bottom