Safe for fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishygurl

Aquarium Advice Freak
I needed to make a new thread because i need a quick reply. (leaving for fish store in 10 min so my dad can watch the hockey game.) You probably remember form my other thread but im going to the LFS to see if my test kit is faulty. IF all results are 0 can I bring home my first 3 fish??

I agree, only if Ammonia and Nitrites are at 0. If Nitrates are at 0, then your tank is not cycled.

Im ready to give up!!!
Results:

Ammonia 3.0
Nitrite: 4.0
And the worst:
PH 6.0
All the bacteria are dead.
The test kit was off by almost 3 ppm
My dad keeps telling me to, "listen to the nice lady at the pet store"
But i know shes wrong because of 3 things, first of all she says that people dont do fishless cycling anymore which doesnt make sense becuase im pretty sure its a fairly new process, second, she said that there tanks are done in 10 days because of cycle (ya right) and that i should just throw a goldfish in( and what does she expect me to do with the goldfish after that?) and last, she told me she would cycle with Cories!!! Cories!!!! Excuse my typing, im kinda upset.... The only good advice she gave me was to do a large water change to get the PH back up to 7.0 which is the tapwater here.

Should i just start over?
Or mabye i should try the shrimp method?
I dont know... I just wanna get this over with!

as far as you "getting sick of this"... this is the fun of the hobby. Very often i have got my tank established, my fish put into a cycled tank, all the plants growing and flourishing and i sit back to enjoy it. After 5 min. im bored, i want to keep doing things tweeking the tank so that it is absolutley perfect. This ammonia cycle should be the "fun part" of the hobby, think of yourself as a chemist. Soon you will have it perfected, then you will try and find things to go wrong so that you can jump to the rescue

Back
Top Bottom