Safe metals in your tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kclskates

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have fancy goldfish that love tearing up the live plants. I was wondering if I can put galvanized screen under my rocks to hold the plants down. Or what should I use to help hold the plants down

I have fancy goldfish that love tearing up the live plants. I was wondering if I can put galvanized screen under my rocks to hold the plants down. Or what should I use to help hold the plants down

You would be better off switching to fake plants. Remove either all or some of the gravel. Get some egg crate, loop the fake plants around the egg crate. Then your goldfish should not be able to really 'move' them.

Every metal will corrode. The metal will have oxides/rust on the surface witch can eventually leach into your water. The process will be speed up if you any type of electrical current in your tank, say a wavemaker. The metal itself is not toxic, it he oxides that can form on them. Someone correct me if im wrong, but I would stay away from any type of metal unless you were to seal it. You can find enamel coated fishing weights that make good weights. You will need to tie a little string around them and wrap them around the roots. Just an idea.

Actually fake plants can be very hard on goldfish as they, especially fancy varieties, aren't the most graceful and often scratch themselves. I found using DW that they can get stuck in with Java Ferns and Anubia as Goldies don't eat them. They also tend to leave crypts and swords.

+1

I recommend these as well and they work great! Keeping veggie matter in the tank (such as broccoli florets in a clip) at all times and feeding LOTS of fruits and veggies daily will also help to keep them preoccupied and stem destructive behavior. If you do opt for fake plants, silk is a much safer option.

Back
Top Bottom