Safe to add to tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aqua7

Aquarium Advice Activist
A friend recently went to the beach and brought me a rock and shell for my fish tank. I've read that shells are bad and some kind of rocks as well. I just want to double check before I discard them. Any help/advice will be appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC01478.jpg
    DSC01478.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC01479.jpg
    DSC01479.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC01480.jpg
    DSC01480.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC01481.jpg
    DSC01481.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 80
If you dip the shell in bleach and then boil it for a long while, it should probably be safe for the tank.

Its hard to tell what that rock thing is. You need to see if it is inert. You can do this by dropping a small drop or two of sulphuric acid.

If it bubbles, it is not inert and is therefor could leach unsafe organics or minerals in the tank.

Some use vinegar, but that is considered less accurate and may not bubble like the acid.

If it is inert, bleach and boil like the shell before adding to your aquarium.

Well I had nothing else, but vinegar so I went ahead and dripped some one the rock. Sadly I noticed tiny bubbles and when I got closer to it I hear a hissing/bubbling noise so I won't be adding it :(.

Thanks for the advice! The rock is insane and I'm sure my fish/shrimp would of loved it.

That's too bad, it was super cool.

It looked like some kind of sandstone to me, but its hard to tell with just a photo.

Just keep your eyes open for other rocks, just use the test.

You do need to avoid rocks with limestone (with make your ph shoot up), copper, iron and obvious stuff thats falling apart. Coral will also raise your ph to high levels.

I keep all kinds of rock and crystals in my tanks with no ill effects and have do so for years.

Just keep your eyes peeled for rock that might look nice.

Back
Top Bottom