Safe ways to sink driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdklovesfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have always loved loaches but I have a heck of a time with them burrowing into my sand and hurting themselves on the slate that holds down my driftwood. See photo. Any ideas on a safer way to keep the driftwood from floating? I just want loaches! ;)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1462883084.413421.jpg

I just used rocks to hold it down. Specifically I have a lot of creek rock that is flat like slate but heavy. Lay it over the wood while on its side until the wood becomes waterlogged where it will not drift anymore.

I left my driftwood in the hot tub for a couple weeks until it was soaked enough to sink - no weights or other trickery needed. :cool:

LOVE LOACHES! They are wonderful fish and beautiful. I introduced them to my tank when I got overrun with inadvertently adding POND SNAILS that came attached to some plants. Ate everyone of them and loaches have been a tank favorite ever since. But yea..all the above advice works. I have a heavily planted and driftwooded tank. It helps if you can boil it for a couple of hours. It will leach out some of the tannis and also water log the driftwood very quickly. Would love to see a pic of the tank when you get the DW in.

You could cut a sheet of stainless steel mesh and use stainless steel screws to secure them to the driftwood. Not sure if it any worse than the slate.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I left my driftwood in the hot tub for a couple weeks until it was soaked enough to sink - no weights or other trickery needed. :cool:

Hmm.. Does your hot tub have chemicals? I have a hot tub that rarely gets used but still has all of the chemicals. Is that safe for my tank after I give it a through washing? Or I have a pond with natural water and no fish. (That's another project!) My driftwood is much to big to boil.

Would love to see a pic of the tank when you get the DW in.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Once I'm done I'll show it off.

Back
Top Bottom