safest way to clean outside of tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jess1ca

Aquarium Advice Addict
So,I'm terrified of spraying glass cleaner near the tank... Been using car glass cleaning wipes but are super streaky.... How do you clean your glass?? :)

I spray the cleaner on the paper towels, then apply the paper towels to the glass.

LyndaB said:
I spray the cleaner on the paper towels, then apply the paper towels to the glass.

+ 1 I do the same thing. It's fine as long as fish never touch the outside of the tank.

LyndaB said:

I agree BUT.... Spray it in the next room. Any of it that gets airborne near the tank could end up in the tank.

What the others are telling you already I know is a widly used way of cleaning the outside of the tank. It is what I do as well. It is safe to use products like windex it will not go through the glass. Just make sure to never spray in the same room.

I use vinegar & water (50-50 mix), spray on paper towels in kitchen & use to wipe off the outside glass. Works pretty well!

I use vinigar water for all glass (windows, mirrors, tanks, other glass -caugh caugh wink wink)
Vinegar works wonders

Vinigar is much safer. I used to do that but it never seemed to get it the way I want it so I switched to windex. As mentioned above, I just make sure I spray on the paper towel in a different room. The dangers of using something like windex are two fold. The obvious is the ammonia that is in it. Should a tiny amount of ammonia get into the water column, the bacteria will consume it so that is not a huge risk in minute quantities. The other risk though is all the perfumes and other chemicals that are put in the windex. If that stuff gets in the water column the only thing that will remove it and stop it from building up over time is water changes.

Back
Top Bottom