Salinity.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joey17

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a green spotted pufferfish he's small about the size of a quarter. I bought a new hydrometer today and check his water. His specific gravity is 1.24 is that ok?

I hope you mean 1.024...and no, that's full on saltwater salinity there.
I've never done brackish, but a quick google search revealed 1.010-1.015 was the brackish salinity range.

Here's just 1 of many online profiles I found. http://www.aquatic-hobbyist.com/profiles/brackish/gsp.html
I'd search them all, and compile their numbers and go by the most number that agree with each other (helps rule out the profiles that are inaccurate)

When he gets older, he'll need full marine conditions (I think?). 1.008 is fine for now, as he grows gradually bump him up. Maybe get it to around 1.010 on the next water change, just don't change it too fast.

He will need full marine conditions (1.020) as an adult. Best bet is to get him there within a year, raising the SG no more then .002/week. That will prevent your bio filter from crashing. Here is a link to an excellent puffer site that lists the various puffers. Your puffer should be tetraodon nigroviridis. The site is run by one of the moderators on a puffer-only site. Here is the link to the various specis.

http://www.pufferlist.com/

WOW.. sudden changes in SG is very stressfull.. not to mention what it will do to your cycle if you had one.. whatever benifical bacteria you had is likely dead.. and I would be supprised if the fish doesnt get very ill from this change as well..
as said above the fish will need full SW or quite near it at adulthood..
and use marine salt with brackish water fish if you were not aware of that as of yet.. just a sidenote

I would pay close attention to your water parameters. Like greenmaji said it most likely wiped out your biofilter. Your fish can handle the changes better then the bacteria but I would still watch him. What size tank is he in? He will need at least 30 gallons to himself

Ahhhhhhh, i woke up this morning to find him dead :(. I guess i learned to not changed the dalinity level right away. He was in a 10 gallon by himself.

Yeah, i found nothing wrong with his water. The only thing i could find that could have been the problem was dropping the salinity so fast.

Back
Top Bottom