Salt..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jolenebailey

Aquarium Advice Regular
An someone tell me what the process is with putting rock salt in my freshwater aquarium to treat general illnesses , also is it ok for scaleless fish like clown loach , or ghost knife

An someone tell me what the process is with putting rock salt in my freshwater aquarium to treat general illnesses , also is it ok for scaleless fish like clown loach , or ghost knife

Salt and scaleless fish is Generally not a good idea:nono:

What illness are you looking to treat?
Ich? Treat with heat... Slowly raise your tank temp to 88F.

Let us know the illness so we can help.

Thanks, two of my silver dollars have developed this white spot, it doesn't look like cotton wool disease, seems to be a fungus, I have treated with melafix and pimafix for a week now, I've only seen slight improvement in the last day.

Attachments

• image-594647038.jpg
    image-594647038.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 87
Thanks, two of my silver dollars have developed this white spot, it doesn't look like cotton wool disease, seems to be a fungus, I have treated with melafix and pimafix for a week now, I've only seen slight improvement in the last day.

Do you have them in a medical qt tank? I'd say at this point, a slight improvement is better than no improvement. I've had a couple of fish get those white patch fungus... Cost me a green TigerBarb last year.

I've read that treating with salt can help speed up the healing process of scales, but with scale-less fish, it's a moot point unless you QT.

Nah I don't have them quartentined? Cause they are so skittish i think my quartentine will just be way too small for them and try are either going to end up stressed or hurt them selves, I will give them a couple of days then move the scaleless fish then treat with salt I think... Any idea what the white patch fungus is? Or why they have got it, thanks

Best guess is an injury... Scratch / cut that got infected? I had a second green tiger get it.... Luckily I caught it and QT'd in time. My first green had it for at least a week(vacation) before I could treat... He was sooooo bad I put him down after a few days. It nearly covered one whole side. I was determined not to lose the second green!

one of my silver dollars got it too, his tail is very damaged as well, its like that for a long time dont seen to heal even with salt.

Back
Top Bottom