Salt added to freshwater aquaria?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
;) Doesn't adding salt to a freshwater tank change the idea of the tank into a "brackish" water aquarium? Then this brackish tank is suitable for plants and animals that have evolved under those conditions, right?

adjective

(of water) slightly salty, as is the mixture of river water and seawater in estuaries. "a cup of brackish water"

Am I being too literal?
Funny. One time i had a party and someone thought my fish would like tostitos, the next morning my fw tank was a brackish tank.

No, not funny at all. "Sad" would be a better description of what I'm seeing here. I care deeply for ALL of the creatures in my care, and I'll continue to find and research ways to improve and extend their lives. If this attitude translates into managed and closely monitored amounts of sodium in my freshwater tank, then so be it. When my fish have more robust slim coats and demonstrably healthy gills it'll all be worth it.

A tiny mob of people shouting "No!" in the name of orthodoxy won't change my goals or personal perspective.

Good luck.

Time for the "wounded bird" routine, huh? You can, of course, participate in any discussion here that you wish. However, I think it's against the unspoken law of good taste to try and leverage another persons opinions or thoughts out of existence. Especially, when one is trying is trying to do so based on sources that some view as godlike, but are in FACT tainted by all manner of contradictions and personal axes to grind. I'll stick with anecdotal DATA from trusted, clearly invested people like myself. Then derive what INFORMATION I see as potentially actionable.

What I currently have: Eight fish, including one that I value as much as any dog\cat I've owed, maintained by an increasingly complex and evolving suite of support FRU's.

What you have: Whatever YOU want.

Now it's time for a nitrate test, some weights then a couple hours of Titanfall 2 to clear my head.

Mr Overfilter, offering a suggestion is not leveraging anyone's opinion. This is a discussion group where differing opinions are just fine, but apparently you don't agree. If you want to rely on anecdotes for information, that's your choice. Clearly no one is going change your mind.

By the way, didn't you begin this thread by asking for opinions?

I always stick to posting about what has worked for me or my experiences. If someone has a question about plants for instance, I don't give advice because I don't keep live plants. Shrimp. Snails. Frogs. Live bearers. Goldfish. Etc. If someone has a medicine question I can tell what's worked for me, or cichlid aggression etc. But I recognize every aquarist is different and every aquarium and every fish too. So what's worked for me may not work for the next person and vice versa. This is a place to share your experiences and personal knowledge, not belittle or put down others posts (not saying that's happened here, but it has happened to me on other posts). We can disagree, but base your disagreement on your own experience, not what you think it's the right thing because you are always right in your mind

Now, you're going to state the obvious as if it's a revelation? You're smart, right? read what I've said again, only this time with comprehension. If after doing so you still don't get what I'm telling you, I'll be glad to switch to a forum friendly version of "ghetto" for you. All you need to do is ask or continue to try and poke at me with your ...for lack of a better word... logic.

Know this before we continue: I don't automatically respect people of letters. Also, in pursuit of some much needed clarity, I ask this: Is English your first language? Because you seem intent on ignoring or twisting what I've said to you, or simply don't understand English as it's used in the USA.

I always stick to posting about what has worked for me or my experiences. If someone has a question about plants for instance, I don't give advice because I don't keep live plants. Shrimp. Snails. Frogs. Live bearers. Goldfish. Etc. If someone has a medicine question I can tell what's worked for me, or cichlid aggression etc. But I recognize every aquarist is different and every aquarium and every fish too. So what's worked for me may not work for the next person and vice versa. This is a place to share your experiences and personal knowledge, not belittle or put down others posts (not saying that's happened here, but it has happened to me on other posts). We can disagree, but base your disagreement on your own experience, not what you think it's the right thing because you are always right in your mind

Your post has earned a full quote. Well said, Charlie!

One anecdote for ya'll. In the early days of PC liquid cooling there were terrible, highly personal arguments based on something as simple as what type(s) of radiators were acceptable. If got your rads from a wrecking yard, you were the bomb. If you wanted to buy clean, designed-for-purpose units, you sucked. There was a LOT of spit and vinegar over this fairly minor choice. :D Guess who won? Nope, it was the people who supported freedom of choice without name-calling, BSing, browbeating, screeching and such. All sides won, in essence.

Speaking of salt hahahah.

I was totally kidding about the tostitos on the tank. No one puts anything in my tanks unless I'm away on vacation and it's my brother there is set of stamped prints with brookster approved regiments attached. I have cameras with speakers, I can yell at people through them. "I SAID 36 FLAKES NOT 37!!!!"

Back
Top Bottom