Salt and dojo loaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I used salt once with my dojo loaches, when the entire tank got Ich. I only dosed 1/2 what I would have used for fully scaled fish. I lost 2 of them but those two had Very bad cases of ich. I use temp now and haven't used salt in years though.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm only asking because there is a big controversy over salt and loaches with ich

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Definitely don't. Loaches hate salt. What exactly are you treating with salt? If ich, I recommend a half dose of malachite green or a pure heat treatment.

I'm not treating. I have no fish yet. Just asking because of a Facebook post that's going insane

I use Freshwater salt in my aquarium and I have 4 dojo loaches and 1 Kuhli loach and none of them seem effected by it. When putting the salt in put it in a corner they usually don't go in. and if this is the first time putting salt in the tank do a half of a teaspoon per gallon of water but divvied into two doses, for example with a 30 gallon I split it up between days so 7 half teaspoons one day skip one day and then 7 more the next until you get exactly the amount you need per gal. then the only time you should do salt after that is during a water change, how many gallons you replace is how much salt you need Example: do a 25% water change which is roughly 5 gallons (In my personal tank29Gal) and do 5 half teaspoons of salt. Never use table salt, the iodine and other preservatives will kill your fish. You can either buy freshwater salt for your local Pet store or you can buy from any grocery store, salt without iodine or another preservatives .
I hope this helps!
~Kayla L.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a bit early here but sounded like you do one teaspoon of salt every 2 gallons on average? I was wondering what the maximum you had taken to, for how long and if any issues (interested in how that might compare to cories I researched).

I use Freshwater salt in my aquarium and I have 4 dojo loaches and 1 Kuhli loach and none of them seem effected by it. When putting the salt in put it in a corner they usually don't go in. and if this is the first time putting salt in the tank do a half of a teaspoon per gallon of water but divvied into two doses, for example with a 30 gallon I split it up between days so 7 half teaspoons one day skip one day and then 7 more the next until you get exactly the amount you need per gal. then the only time you should do salt after that is during a water change, how many gallons you replace is how much salt you need Example: do a 25% water change which is roughly 5 gallons (In my personal tank29Gal) and do 5 half teaspoons of salt. Never use table salt, the iodine and other preservatives will kill your fish. You can either buy freshwater salt for your local Pet store or you can buy from any grocery store, salt without iodine or another preservatives .
I hope this helps!
~Kayla L.

What are you trying to treat?

Im not trying to treat anything, thats just the salt level you want. its a half a teaspoon per gallon of water. the split up that dosage between a coupple days then the only other time you need to add it is if you take out water, because salt doesnt evaporate. so if you take out 5 gallons put in 5 Half tea spoons.
~Kayla L.

Why are you adding salt when you have no reason to? Especially when you have loaches. Also where did you learn that you need to add salt?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Absolutely no reason to add salt to a freshwater tank, especially if you aren't treating something. Even if you use salt to treat an illness, most people remove it as soon as the issue is resolved.

Im not trying to treat anything, thats just the salt level you want. its a half a teaspoon per gallon of water. the split up that dosage between a coupple days then the only other time you need to add it is if you take out water, because salt doesnt evaporate. so if you take out 5 gallons put in 5 Half tea spoons.
~Kayla L.
That tops 1 tablespoon per 10g so that would make it safe.

And also, this was created as a question. Salt is beneficial to all fish with a few exceptions.

Yep, I know. Are your fish stressed?

I only have clown loaches. I'm asking as a general question.

Then as avid loach enthusiast and long time owner IMO it's a bad idea and add salt with loaches. Just trying to answer your question without conflict.:)

What's your thoughts? Have you done it? What about salt and scale-less fish?

My thoughts? Is it really necessary? Aside from assisting with osmoregulation in particular with sick or stressed fish, what other benefits does it provide?
Salt is beneficial in all tanks period
Even planted tanks?

My thoughts? Is it really necessary? Aside from assisting with osmoregulation in particular with sick or stressed fish, what other benefits does it provide?
Even planted tanks?

Planted tanks to an extent. Not all plants can withstand salt but we're talking fish here in general.

Then as avid loach enthusiast and long time owner IMO it's a bad idea and add salt with loaches. Just trying to answer your question without conflict.:)

What about if you're treating ich?

Back
Top Bottom