Salt for my betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
My poor betta. He is getting SO big in his chest area. There are several "growths" inside his body which I can see clearly now due to the fact that his stomach is stretched pretty thin. It looks like it is filled with fluid. I can't bring myself to put him down though. He still comes up to the glass to greet me, and he is still eating really well. Will adding salt to his water help to draw out some of that fluid in his body (if that is what it is?) If so, should I use aquarium salt or epsom? I feel so bad for him :(

Aww, I'm sorry, Meredith. Is this the betta that we think has a tumor, and they're getting worse? You can try epsom salt. I have read anywhere from 1/8 teaspoon epsom salt per five gallons to 1/8 teaspoon per one gallon. I have tried 1/8 teaspoon per one gallon and it had no bad effects on the betta. It didn't help my betta's dropsy but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try it on your betta.

My betta with dropsy looked horrible but lived for 10 days and ate and was active until the very last day. I'm glad your betta is still active and eating. The tumors may not go away, but I think trying the epsom salt makes sense. I hope it works for you!

So sorry to hear he is getting worse Meredith. I agree on the epsom salt mind you. I feel bad for him as well. Good luck and hopefully he feels better.

Ok thanks. I am doing a waterchange tonight and I will add it. This is the strangest thing I have ever seen. His scales are not sticking out at all but you can tell there is fluid built up inside him like a water balloon. Its really easy to see the tumors. There are three I know of for sure, but there could be more. I think I will try an 1/8 tsp per gallon. I just don't think a quarter tsp will do anything.
Thanks again guys

Back
Top Bottom