Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-05-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Salt in aquarium

Hey I am setting up a 30 gallon aquarium with rams, angelfish, neon tetras, corys, and hopefully in the future, discus. It will be an all natural aquarium with real plants and driftwood. Should I add salt? If so how much. I am awaiting substrate and am "half cycling" my tank. Any advice is helpful.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

No salt. These fish and plants don't like it. I also don't suggest discus in a 30g tank that is much too small. Only one angel IMO for that size tank also.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

salt

There is two types of salt. Aquarium salt just raises water hardness an adds minerals if your water is soft. It is ok with plants and most fish. Marine salt like the kind on the ocean is used to make marine tanks, brackish tanks, and as a bath or in a hospital tank. Livebearers especially guppies and mollies and their fry especially do better with aquarium salt to make hard water and i raise my fry in brackish water(half sea half fresh). It comes in handy its about 20 dollars for a big bag or bucket that should last 6months or more. Mix it up first! If you use sea salt you must mix it for 30 minutes in a bucket with airtube to dissolve it. But seasalt will kill your plants. I use 2 cups for ten gallons on my poecillia fry. Once it is dissolved mot cloudy its ok to just move them over.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I like salt for my livebearers only tanks. Mollies especially benefit from it. However, with tetras and all amazonian species, salt in even small amounts is not present in their environment and offers no benefit and they and plants will be stressed proportionally to the amount of salt used. OS.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com